Parrotlet or Lovebird?

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Hey everyone! So I am currently doing my practicum for veterinary assisting and will have a job lined up in the very near future which means I will have the "means" for another feathered friend. I am debating between a parrotlet or a lovebird. Anyone want to pitch in and help me out with my decision? Here are some things about me and my life to help decide.
I live in a condo
I live with my parents and a roommate so someone is always home.(Everyone loves parrots.)
Noise isn't necessarily an issue because we know all our neighbors.
I lost my GCC Hiroshi recently. Have given myself time to really think and am giving myself even more time until I have a stable job.
Soooo opinions please!!! :) :greenyellow:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Beilana, My vote would be none of the above, instead I recomend a Lineolated parakeet or Linnie for short, about the same size as the P'let and lovebird and twice the personality, SharonC has one named Levi, and I'll be going to a bird show on Sunday and am seriously thinking about getting one myself, they come in a variety of colors, you should do some research on them its well worth the time , BTW glad to see you back :)

OP
Beilana

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Thanks for the suggestion and the welcome back Bobby!
I have researched linnies but I am not as fond of their "look" compared to a lovebird or a parrotlet. They also seem to be quite scarce where I am located. :( Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Melo7777

Jul 7, 2014
USA
Parrots
-peach faced lovebird
-pacific parrotlet
I have both of them. My lovebird seems to be very energetic and social able, On the other hand, my parrotlet is a bit shy and doesn't like to try new things. He is nicer than my lovebird because my lovebird tends to be very territorial around its cage and only wants to be with me whenever she chooses. I rarely get her out of her cage because of that. She usually flies to me when she wants attention. My parrotlet can be a bit goofy sometimes and much quieter than my lovebird. I could never make the decision of which to get because they're both so lovely, but I hope my story helps.

KiwiPlusUs1025

Feb 23, 2014
South Florida
Parrots
Yellow Side Green Check Conure
We am actually considering adding a parrotlet to our little family. :) We already have a GCC, and I have wanted a parrotlet for a while. I'm still not a 100% sure if we are ready to add a new member to the family. What do you think?

LOL while i think i'll vote parrotlet... :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Parrotlets are not fond of loud noises, clapping hands, or crinkle paper, but they do make very good companions. They can be very social, and sweet. Ours is not bonded to just one person like my Senegal is. She will let anyone hold her. She likes to lay on her back or hang upside down like a bat, and she loves her swing. She can even turn around on cue. Tonight when my husband was holding her, she was rubbing her face up against his iPad like a cat would to your leg. She was very content. She loves to hang out on the rim of my daughters glasses and fall sleep. They are not nearly as loud as love birds can be, but they do have a chatter about them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions