Parrots and permits: Do we have a right?

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has adviced me and been so helpful - I have bombarded this forum with so many questions - it has been a very lonely year and Im bursting with questions :)

When I bought my Brown Headed Parrot (South Africa) I was told a whole bunch of garbage which I readily believed - only after reading through this forum do I realise that I was lead a merry dance. Anyways, I was told that I needed to have a permit to keep this specific breed - by this time I was nodding very enthusiastically, my mind racing as to how my precious cargo would travel and how the hell I was going to get the cage into my boot. The woman then told me that they would phone me when the permit arrived and they would get it from the breeder. I then asked - coming out of my daydream of euphoria - whether I could have the breeders number as I wanted some background info. I was told that they would only be in contact with the breeder when he called to deliver more parrots and would ask them for the permit then - no number I asked, no she said. I have had Hugo for nearly a year and still no permit, when I phone they say they are still waiting for him to contact them and that breeders dont readily give out their contact details - they just phone when they have parrots to sell...ok, I said lapping that one up too. She also said that I need not worry as the breeder has the permit so if I am in sticky water then we can get it from him - huh??

Do I, after learning so much on this forum and realising that the dealings on that day seem fishy have a right to phone and demand my permit and the breeders details? The more I think about it the more I start getting worried as I have been reading some alarming health problems etc about the breed on the net and was not told one ounce of info on the specific breed - its like Hugo literally flew through the petshop door. He was there for 3 months - he looked like he had been through hell. Is this strange or normal for petshops to function like this? Must I forget about the permit? Do people who buy parrots normally have contact with past owners/ breeders? I get the feeling that maybe mall petshops dont want to give that info out because then they, being the middle man would be cut off in the future? Any advice would be really great, apologies for long message..

WolfmoonCT

Oct 22, 2009
Brooklyn, CT
Parrots
Alex (Nanday Conure) Beausoleil or Boo for short (Sun Conure) Luigi (Congo African Grey)
Whether you need permits or not, I would say are going to be a local thing. Possibly someone in your area may be on this forum and be able to help you out. But what your describing seems fishy.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Thanks Wolfmoon...Antionette, I know that your up North from me but watya think dol?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I agree, sounds very fishy. Every country does have their own regulations, but I have never heard of needing a permit to OWN a parrot - perhaps to sell, or to breed, but not to own. Here in the US there are a couple states that have outlawed particular species of parakeets that they consider pests, but there they just aren't allowed, there are no permits.

If you were required to have a permit to own one I'm sure the pet store would require you to have one before they sold to you. So either they are lying through their teeth or they are doing something illegal - I suspect both.

I just hope I don't find any more reasons to go unibomber on mall pet shops. Once again I say they are all evil - sick, wrong, and evil. If you are lucky enough to rescue a happy healthy animal from their clutches then run away fast and have nothing further to do with them.

If by some chance you ARE legally required to have a permit to own a parrot there you would not need to get that from the breeder or pet store (though they may have the connections to help you get it) but you should be able to get such permits (if they exist) through your local government offices.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Dear Auggie's Dad, I phoned the petshop this morning asking for my permit, my number was taken down and they would phone me when discussing it with the woman who issues the permits for the shop. I, in the meantime phone SA nature conservations and I was told that according to the law in this country any parrot that is indigenious has to have a) a travelling permit from the petshop then b) a residential permit that I then apply for. According to them I should of had the travelling permit when taking the bird but many issue them after because it takes time to get together. I may never be caught with my parrot in my care but if I travel within the country and get caught or someone thinks that I shouldnt have an indidenious parrot in captivity they will confiscate him. I then phoned the petshop back as they had not contacted me as they said they would and I spoke to another person there who said that they never issue permits as they normally only sell parrots like Greys and Amazons - bit strange when there were a bunch of Meyers in the shop when I went to collect my bird (some of those breeds would require a permit). I wonder what exactly they were going to ask the lady who issues permits for that shop when they never do - weird. It seems that getting all the paper work together is alot of time and effort and maybe that is why Im getting the shrug syndrome...the nature conservation told me that it only takes about 2 weeks for the permit to come after filling in a form. I have been advised to phone the petshop AGAIN and inform them that if they do not sort it out I will get an affidavit requesting a permit and that would not be good for them as they would be under the spotlight. I had no idea that they were trying to brush it off because their view is that I dont need the permit really - whose gonna find you out anyways, thats not the point...I will not take that chance and I believe in doing my part to curb blackmarket trade...:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there Ecllipse.... Been trying to get the bird breeder who sold me Mishka. He is in Kempton Park (near the airport). No luck today, he works and is hard to get held of.
Will try him tomorrow !!!!
Take care

WolfmoonCT

Oct 22, 2009
Brooklyn, CT
Parrots
Alex (Nanday Conure) Beausoleil or Boo for short (Sun Conure) Luigi (Congo African Grey)
I know Connecticut has a ban on Quaker parrots, cause they have a large group of wild ones that build nests ontop of transformers, and short them causing them to blow, and then they have to be replaced at quite the cost. Some people released them into the wild, and now others can't have them cause of it... sigh..

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Am still waiting for the petshop to phone me back - its been 3 days, thank goodness I didn't hold my breath...we wait I guess, had to take my parrot to the vet on Thursday morning and I have changed vets so I was so scared they were going to ask me. She was too busy examining Hugo and I for once was very quiet. I have to go back next week again so will just tell her that the permit is being sorted out - I HATE it when things arent done the way it should - it puts me on edge!!!!

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went cold!!!!! Yikes!

Why not focus on regulating the comings and goings of pets and animals and use the money to pay officials to carry out that job. Money can be plied into the existing animal shelters who are struggling and improve the support of SPCA's who can monitor and educate pet owners. The question is this: Am I really going overboard stressing over my parrots permit? I think not, if everyone upheld the law we as pet owners would have more of a leg to stand on legally.

Most Reactions

Latest posts