Parrots and Perms

Whaleman76

Dec 23, 2010
I read that Parrots are allergic to hair perms. Several members in my family have them. So far there has been no problem.And my conure, Sunset, interacts with them daily.But one of them just got a new perm. Does anyone know if it is true? Is it the smell? Is there some specific ingredient I can look for in the perm that is the problem? What do I have to look for here? Again, for the last two months there has been no problem and there has been daily prolonged interaction. Anybody know anything about this? Have any personal experience? Thanks

OP
W

Whaleman76

Dec 23, 2010
Also, is it they shouldn't eat permed hair or pull at it? or is it the smell?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i'd imagine if they came into contact with solution, of as said above, they don't pull at hair etc also not in the room when perming is being done, as the fumes from solutions make me feel sick

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I had a perm done last summer and I had no problem with my birds. Nicky loves to play in my hair and he was fine. I think that as long as the chemicals are all washed out it should be fine. I wouldn't let him near my hair the first couple of days just in case it wasn't all washed out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts