Parrots and snakes

Grimace

Apr 3, 2014
This applies to any bird really I suppose.
How okay do you think a parrot would be in the same room as a snake? Is a parrot going to freak out from seeing it in a cage across a room or something? If the parrot was brought in when it was young to see them and whatnot would it be likely it wouldn't mind?

Of course they'd never be able to get at each other and the snake setup would never be even unlocked when the parrot wasn't secured somewhere. I just feel like parrots would have a natural fear of snakes or something, so i figured I'd ask.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Mine have been in the same room together without any issues. The birds didn't really seem to notice them and the snakes never paid the birds any mind. Of course they weren't out together or anything. I would just make sure you have secure snake cages so they cannot get out.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
A parrot would naturally be afraid of a snake since a snake is a predator and a parrot is prey. I wouldn't have a bird and a snake in the same room even if they were brought up together.

OP
G

Grimace

Apr 3, 2014
Yeah, the cages are all going to be secure. :)
Everything is either going to be in locked racks, or in cages with sliding fronts and an actual lock on the front. Thanks though, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a situation where I was having birds spooking every time they noticed a snake moving around.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
If you have to keep the bird with the snakes (and some folks do) you can create a 'safe zone' in the cage for your bird. In nature birds either fly away to a safer area or hide behind a branch, clump of leaves and so forth. In your cage create a 'wall of toys' that the bird can hide behind in order to feel safe. Keep your snakes lower than your birds as bird find comfort in being higher than a predator. Remember, your bird will not appreciate seeing your snakes eat live prey.

Remember each bird is an individual. My BFA barked at my turtle for a day or so (he lives in the bird buildling and is the ruler of the floor). My DYH went 'invisible' and froze in place behind a rope toy when she first sighted the turtle. If your bird's personality changes or is obviously stressed by a wall of caged snakes (feather plucking and so forth) it would be best to put the bird in another room.

And snakes appreciate a hidey hole while resting to keep away from prying eyes, too!

OP
G

Grimace

Apr 3, 2014
If you have to keep the bird with the snakes (and some folks do) you can create a 'safe zone' in the cage for your bird. In nature birds either fly away to a safer area or hide behind a branch, clump of leaves and so forth. In your cage create a 'wall of toys' that the bird can hide behind in order to feel safe. Keep your snakes lower than your birds as bird find comfort in being higher than a predator. Remember, your bird will not appreciate seeing your snakes eat live prey.

Remember each bird is an individual. My BFA barked at my turtle for a day or so (he lives in the bird buildling and is the ruler of the floor). My DYH went 'invisible' and froze in place behind a rope toy when she first sighted the turtle. If your bird's personality changes or is obviously stressed by a wall of caged snakes (feather plucking and so forth) it would be best to put the bird in another room.

And snakes appreciate a hidey hole while resting to keep away from prying eyes, too!

Yeah, I could even make it so nothing was visible to the parrot from their cage. None of my snakes eat live prey anyway, so no issues there.

Of course if whatever bird I go with had an actual big issue with the snakes I'd move them to another area or rig something up so they weren't visible.

I'd have to rig something up so if I had a bird who was completely comfortable with things, it couldn't hang out right in front of the glass anyway. Neither I, nor the bird, nor the snake wants a reticulated python striking at the front glass or something to be a thing. :p

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I used to have a reticulated... she could bend the pexi glass before she was full grown:52: My friendliest snake though!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
My conures never were bothered by any of my reptiles, in fact, they're intrigued by them!!
It's quite often that they'll climb from their stand to the floor to check out by beardie. (He currently lives in a 40 gal tank on the floor, since we don't have a stand big enough for his tank.)
And Loki used to hop on the TV, walk all the way to the other side, and lean as far as he could over the edge to watch whatever reptile was there at the time. (we moved them around allot trying to find a good light setup.)
Every bird is different. I guess mine are just fearless, or rather dumb. (But, they ARE conures, and they tend to be unaware of how small they really are..)

Edit: Here's a couple(bad) pictures of them checking out Bowser.. he climbs off his branch to meet them!

Pardon the mess. :p

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
We have two corn snakes in the same room as my bird. She couldn't care less and neither do the snakes. especially because of their current sizes and preference for thawed mice. They've never even bit us before.

That being said, the two are never out at the same time and there is a lock on our reptile cages (very simple one, but it prevents prying beaks and pushy bodies). Avery will perch on my shoulder while I'm on my laptop and the tanks are right beside me and she couldn't give a hoot about our snakes. The snakes also don't care and tend to just sit there like snakes do. They've never once taken a striking pose upon seeing her.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
A parrot would naturally be afraid of a snake since a snake is a predator and a parrot is prey. I wouldn't have a bird and a snake in the same room even if they were brought up together.

I agree with this advice.

Most Reactions