Parrots eyesight

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
in the morning when I'm in uncovering cages with just the light from the TV.
I get this feeling that they can't see to well in low light, because I get this look from them like WTF who the heck are you.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Sometimes get the same from Plum but feel it is usually more to do with not really being fully awake yet. Have you tried a partial uncovering and then go back a few minutes later? See if the reaction is different?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You're both correct. Parrots, especially Companion Parrots likely sleep deeper /sounder than those living in their Natural settings.

Parrot have excellent vision once the Sun is up. During the transitional periods of early morning and later evening, they're sight rapidly decreases.

Combining both realities and its easy to 'see' that when we wake them up in a low light (early morning) period. They are not yet ready to fully interact with us.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Night vision is poor to really bad in parrots.
I think cockatiels and budgies are the worst. Most parrots have the ability to see in ultra-violet. because of this they have fewer of the black/white receptors in there eyes for seeing at night.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I wonder how keen their eyesight during darkness once acclimated? Most of my Goffins sleep outside the cage, and they have NO fear flying in near total darkness. Ten feet or so is a short distance, generally to my shoulder.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rbird SEEMS to ME to get around just fine in very low light. I wonder if they have adapted to those deep, dark burrows a little better. I've read that the chicks don't even come out into the light until they're 2-3 months old, and then hen spends most of her time with them...

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
I get the WTF who are you look from Stephen all the time.

But that's just because he's trying to figure out how to manipulate me into taking him outside/give him a peanut shell. (He doesn't care about the nuts, he just wants to turn the shell into itty bitty bits all over my floor.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts