Patrick Update!!

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
As some of you might know I bought my bird around last October for my wife. I had a long journey, but I got though it and brought the bird home about two weeks after I had bought him from the pet store. It was suppose to be a Christmas present for my wife, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut and she found out. :p

So just wanted to give everyone an update. I was so worried before I brought him home. Thinking everything in my home would kill our bird, I was frantic about it. My fears have calmed and I made a lot of dumb mistakes and nothing has harmed him. Still, I am careful as can be!

Patrick is a little over a year old now and doing well with us. He is a pain sometimes, but we are working with him and I know he likes us (at least tolerates us :32:). He can't stand not being around us, he will try and tweet as loud as he can until we come and let him out. I don't let him out unless he calms down. I have been trying to make sure he does not get his way all the time. I got to let him know who's boss!! LOL

Here is some pictures of him now. The blue on his head is because he rubbed up against a toy when it was wet. The toy was in his outside cage and my wife was misting him and got him wet. So he dyed his feathers, lol. He is happy and healthy!!

A few questions. How often should I take him to the vet, and how much does it cost to get sexed? Also the brown on the end of his feathers, is that normal or does he need more Sun? The picture on the controller is older and he had no brown on the tips than, the one with ships in the background is a little newer and he was starting to get brown on the tips, the last one where he is looking up at me is today! We are going to be buying a UV light being we are basement dwellers right now. :p

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You'll get different responses on how often it's best to take them in to an a-vet. Some only take their birds in when sick, others will take them in at least once or twice a year.

Sexing can cost as low as $10 and up to $60 or so, depending on where you get it done.

The brown on the end of the feathers is known as feather bronzing and is pretty common in birds that play rough, are petted, over-groom or could be a diet issue. As long as he is healthy and the feathers molt in healthy, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it!

Most Reactions