Pebbles said time to dust the fans

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Pebbles seems to have gone through her hormonal phase. With this, Pebbles was desperate to find a nesting place, and would fly to me so we could search the house together for possible places (the fridge, the magical black tiles with the fourth dimension, above door frames, behind the towels on the rack, etc).

I think this has made Pebbles aware that there is a full house to explore, so, although her nesting efforts have faded, she has recognised that there are lots of potential places to explore, and we now have birds flying around into other rooms (previously Pebbles would wait for someone to come and get her, if Gizmo had flown to us in another room). I am happy for this as Pebbles has never been an active flyer like Gizmo, so even over the last week, it is clear her flying confidence has improved.

OK now to the downside of all this adventure, I need to clean the fans, and keep a ladder in the house:D

Today Pebbles realised that nearly every room has a fan. Here she has decided to check out the second bedroom by herself

NO PEBBLES!!!! It is not OK to try to eat the fan

Thinking about flying down, but not confident:

The fans are rarely used, and so they get forgotten (Pebbles came down with a dusty tail). At least it's a bit of recall training (stuck in the tree simulation), but this time she decided she wasn't ready to come down and with 10" ceilings I had to get the ladder.

I am starting a build of a play area for them, perhaps this is her way of telling me to hurry up:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahahahahaha! Congratulations on Pebbles' newfound flight confidence!

And I can identify with the feeling of this development being a double edged sword. I dearly want Maya to become more confident about flying, but I'm very much aware that she'd be a lot more problematic if she were comfortable with flight than Jolly is.

I'd still accept the tradeoff, of course, but the thought of the mischievous havoc a flighted Maya would unleash is certainly daunting. Lol!

In the meantime, though, I'll just vicariously enjoy the relatively benign flight antics of Miss Pebbles.

Most Reactions