Pellet and Seeds

DuskyEmmitt

May 5, 2014
Boerne Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure
Emmitt seems to really only like to eat Pellets and Seed. He will eat other things if you really take the time to feed it to him and force him to eat it, but if i just put some stuff in his bowl, he will pick all the other things out and throw them, and get back to his pellet and seeds.

Is this ok? Should I force better foods on him?

I have tried Grapes, blueberries, black berries, spinach leaves, carrots, bananna, kiwi, mango, some dried mixed fruit parrot treat stuff,

He will nibble at grapes, berries, and spinach if i hold it up to him and sorta force it on him. If I just put it in his bowl, he will pick it all out and drop it or throw it.

frustrating to say the least.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Keep trying and try to be creative!

Maybe a good thing to start out with is sprouted seeds. If he takes to sprouted seeds, then you can add in some finely chopped carrots. Then try finely chopped apples or some other foods.

Eugooglizer

Nov 25, 2013
Underland
Parrots
Ezio the Nanday Conure & Buddy the Jenday Conure
Keep trying and try to be creative!

Maybe a good thing to start out with is sprouted seeds. If he takes to sprouted seeds, then you can add in some finely chopped carrots. Then try finely chopped apples or some other foods.

I really recommend introducing sprouted seeds to his diet as well--both of my conures (Nanday and Jenday) took to them almost immediately despite never having never been exposed to them before and not showing any interest in fresh veggies (only certain fruits). Since then I've also started making chop--dicing or grating the veggies and greens into extra small pieces so they're harder to pick out and more likely to be eaten along with the more preferred ingredients while they're still getting used to them and that has also been a big success. You could also make some birdie bread using a pre-made mix that you can easily add various fruits and veggies to--again making the pieces very fine so they aren't as distinguishable from the "bread" part and everything gets eaten--this has worked for me also.

Most Reactions