pellet mix best choices ?

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I was thinking of trying Harrison and or zupreem. Or robyrush. Then what kind of seed mix. We will be doing chops also. We want to make sure she will have a good diet. Make sure she is getting all vitamins. We don't have her yet. So want to have everything ready when she comes home around august. :blue1:

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I have just started using roudybush and I'm really happy with it! The fussy cockatoo eats it and my new senegal loves it too. I'm not sure what brands of seed you have available but a reputable parrot mix should be fine. As for chop there are endless recipes available online but I tend to just make it up. My latest included the following just for ideas...

Beetroot
Kumara
Carrot
Chilli
Capsicum
Broccoli
Spinach
Courgette
Alfalfa sprouts
Apple
A bean mix
Wholegrain pasta

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Those 3 plus Totally Organics are the only pellets I would recommend. I prefer to feed Harrisons, but Luna will only eat Zupreem at the moment. If you go with Zupreem, use the natural pellets. For seed mix, try one of the Goldenfeast blends.

OP
MacawGuy

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
What about higgins. I hear a lot of people use it. But I never hear people saying anything about it. I hear the seed mix is good. It's something I can get her local really easy. I also heard the Dr Smith and foster mix is really good as well.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm not sure about Higgins, honestly. Volkman is another good option to consider, from what I hear.

Are you planning to feed your bird seeds in small amounts as more of a treat/reward or as a diet staple? You might want to consider sprouting.

OP
MacawGuy

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Small amounts mixed in with her pellets. I was thinking of buying a sprouter.

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Higgins or volkmans do not compare to the ingredients of goldenfeast mixes...some of the goldenfeast mixes are more seed based and others more nut based...I use various mixes for variety...and for pellets i mainly use roudybush?.also everything is available on the Internet you don't have to stick with what you vpcan get locally...I'd never get what I wanted for my birds if I bought locally

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I am also thinking of sprouting. I was watching youtube videos and it shows how to make a sprouting jar and sprout parrot/bird seed. I currently use Higgins seed in small amounts, and Zupreem pellets along with fruits and veggies. I am ordering Roudybush pellets to try next. My birds both like the seed mix and the Zupreem pellets, but of course they pick out their likes/dislikes from the seed so there is quite a bit of wasted seed. Not so much waste of pellets though.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
IMO, as far as the pellet brands go - quality and nutrient wise I think Harrison's is best. Every bird I've seen on it long term, and molt while on it gets the most vibrant, bright or intense coloration possible. I've really noticed that, and it's organic with no dyes. I've never seen anything bring out the colors better.

I also use Roudybush maintenance formula. That SMELLS GOOD :32:. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm tempted :52:

Not sure about all the seed brands, but I know Volkman doesn't get bugs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts