Pellets~vs~Seeds

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I would recommend giving her boiled sweet potato for breakfast, served warm. You can boil one, mash it up (I remove the skin) and serve it warm Store in the fridge, and warm it a little and feed it to her from your own fingers in little globs. They love it, it's very comforting and nutritious, and will establish a breakfast routine for her which will make it easier to introduce lots of new foods. Eat it in front of her if she doesn't try it, then give her a tiny glob. Once she tastes it she'll like it. :)

OP
C

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Update on Prissy

I was watching Prissy eat seeds this morning and I realized she was only eating the tiny pieces. I put her pellets in my Ninja and chopped them up to tiny pieces and she has been eating ALL DAY!!! SHE LOVES IT!!! I guess since she is so small (46grams as of this morning) the food size for Conures was just too big for her.

Thank You to those of you who helped me!!

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 218

MagegrayWolf

May 3, 2013
Parrots
Sun Conure (Dunkin)
grey cockatiel (Nalo)
You could try making bird bread and putting the things you want the bird to eat in it.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My conures weight 110+ grams and 270+ (fatty....)

I feed the Harrison's Fine to both, which is the cockatiel size! It would be a great size for your little green cheek, too!

OP
C

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
Wow!!! Prissy weighs 51 grams this morning! She ate so much yesterday.... I am feeling so much better now that she is eating. Happy Baby makes for a Happy MOMMY.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Great news! Hope she keeps on some weight!!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I breed GCCs and extensively research their diet, behavior etc.
At 3 months old, she should weigh more, I would say from 58gr to 65gr is the norm. She is not eating enough in my opinion.

Pellets and seeds should not be the main diet, but they need both (sorry some people are against seeds but they are seed eaters, I didn't make it up, it is what it is). Denying them from seeds is denying them their natural feed. Not all seeds are created equal and some are necessary for proper healthy health and mental development (good quality seed mixes are sold my Higgins). Pellets are made with seeds and pulses, they get more variety with original seeds than the grounded ones in the pellets. They add some vitamins, folic acid, biotin. They can also get all this with a variety of fresh food made into a mash (veggies, pulses, grain, sprouts etc).

So if you can't feed a variety of fresh food daily (or some people can't be bothered), the pellets are a good choice to have in the cage. I keep both seeds and pellets available. What if you are going away and the bird sitter can't be bothered?? You want your bird to be used to eating both.

At 3 months old, it would help to moisten the pellets as she is newly weaned (8-10 weeks old is the approx. weaning age).

Where did you get her from? I would stick with the diet she is used to at first for a smooth transition. You can always ADD new food along with it.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Converting my CAGs from a seed to a pellet diet did marvels for them. I'm so glad you're able to convert her!

Here's before and after shots of them.

Before Pellets
385699_10151095029774541_433273544_n.jpg

After Pellets
580767_10151122360549541_1416947627_n.jpg

OP
C

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
I breed GCCs and extensively research their diet, behavior etc.
At 3 months old, she should weigh more, I would say from 58gr to 65gr is the norm. She is not eating enough in my opinion.

Pellets and seeds should not be the main diet, but they need both (sorry some people are against seeds but they are seed eaters, I didn't make it up, it is what it is). Denying them from seeds is denying them their natural feed. Not all seeds are created equal and some are necessary for proper healthy health and mental development (good quality seed mixes are sold my Higgins). Pellets are made with seeds and pulses, they get more variety with original seeds than the grounded ones in the pellets. They add some vitamins, folic acid, biotin. They can also get all this with a variety of fresh food made into a mash (veggies, pulses, grain, sprouts etc).

So if you can't feed a variety of fresh food daily (or some people can't be bothered), the pellets are a good choice to have in the cage. I keep both seeds and pellets available. What if you are going away and the bird sitter can't be bothered?? You want your bird to be used to eating both.

At 3 months old, it would help to moisten the pellets as she is newly weaned (8-10 weeks old is the approx. weaning age).

Where did you get her from? I would stick with the diet she is used to at first for a smooth transition. You can always ADD new food along with it.
I got her at Petco (She is from Hawaii). As of this morning she weighs 54 grams @ 14 weeks 2 days. She is eating much better! However, she has lost all but one of her tail feathers... Is this normal at her age? She has lost 2 since I brought her home 3 weeks ago the rest she lost before coming home with me. They told me she was molting and it was normal.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
She's such a cute little bug! :) I'm glad to hear she's eating better, and hope she continues to do well.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
There is a difference between an all seed diet and a mix of : seeds, pellets, fresh food etc... variety is important.

Some birds can lose tail feathers due to stress. It is one instance that I have noticed it in GCC. However, it will grow back.

Most Reactions