pellets

kellycraig125

Mar 12, 2015
Alabama
Parrots
I have a 6 month old female Eclectus named Lucy
Do you give your ekkies any pellets at all? I haven't been giving Lucy any whatsoever. She eats her mash and veggies and such now and so I give seeds and nuts as foraging treats, but other than that, I've been giving veggies, fruits, beans and lentils, grains, etc. Just wondering if I should worry about the pellets at all...

Thanks!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I no longer offer any pellets. Like you it is almost all fresh with Volkman seed for eclectus and some nuts at night.

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
Pellets are useful when you get caught for time and need to feed and leave NOW. Only use the plain, non coloured variety. They would only be a small part of their diet and if you organise yourself well rarely need to be used. I find that preparing a rice mix with veggies and freezing in small containers until needed dramatically cuts down the preparation time. This is breakfast but they also get fruit in the evening and some nut treats hidden in toys to keep them going during the day.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Eckie's just don't do well on pellets.

I would stick with fresh whenever possible.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I personally don't use pellets at this time. They can pretty much get all the nutrition that they need from their fresh fruits, veggies, and legumes... provided that you are giving them enough of a wide variety. And make sure to include lots of foods rich in vitamin A, such as carrots and pumpkin.

If you do decide to include pellets in their diet, however, keep the relative portions small and only use plain (uncolored) organic ones. For instance, when I used to provide pellets for my ekkies, I used Harrison's Adult Coarse. And I only gave them 10 pellets at most a day, 5 in the morning and 5 at night.

Most Reactions