Penny is sick, I've been holding back making a thread

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I read through the first 7 or 8 pages of this thread with my heart in my throat. I'm SO relieved to hear there is good news and light at the end of this tunnel! I'm adding my prayers and love and well-wishes to the others! Get well Penny!!! :D

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Penny had a set back. She did not scream and wake me.. She was fluffed next to heater. She won't eat, I got 1 pea into her when she has been eating 10, so I tried oatmeal, she ate one oat...wouldn't eat apple...so just now made her some egg her favorite, she did eat several bites if that.., but seemed to fall asleep between me feeding her bites, she wont come to the food bowl....

She has been eating so little, I don't if missing tge warm

C'mn girl, c'mon Penny, you can do it. Your mama loves you so much, you gotta get better for her!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh goodness Laura, this is not the news I was hoping to read. I'm so sorry Penny has had a setback, but she has so much fight in her and love for you that I know she will give it everything she's got! C'mon Penny, keep fighting, you can do this!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Today was medicine day, I tried to get her to eat before meds but as your read a no go . So gave meds

It was not till after 3pm that she perked up. Ate 12 peas, several mouthful of oatmeal, a few mouthful of yogurt, and 1 inch of pasta. Then passed normal stool. And seems to be eating ever since. Her last warm feeding time i found her at her seeds and pellets bowl picking. She loves pumpkin seeds , has stopped eating them, but today I got some out of the hull she ate those! And right now she should be asleep, and she us at her food bowl!

I know she missed her warm little mouthfuls last night due the drama. Abd it was chilly last night. I dint know why she was bad this morning. It could be we are on day 6, abd combined she's probably only eaten a days worth of food. I've had to try every couple if hours to get her to eat...

Anyway she has eaten a lot since 3pm! Maybe even a half days rations worth.... and she looks brighter again.

I'm worn out and very stressed

I was going to drive to a nearby city tonight to buy hand feeding formula. And start, force feeding. But since she is parked at her foodbowl . Im going to wait till Tomorrow

Today her weight held the same, but she has lost 6 grams since the start of this.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Dang- she ate a lot, relatively speaking! I mean, Noodles is way bigger and eats PROBABLY less than that for a meal, so that is good (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
That's great Laura!! That's our Penny, she's a warrior alright!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Dang- she ate a lot, relatively speaking! I mean, Noodles is way bigger and eats PROBABLY less than that for a meal, so that is good (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)

Thats spread out since 3pm , I have to warm stuff up and offer, and she eats a c mouthful or 2 , then I try again..
But yes!!! Thrilled!!! Probably the most since the 29th!!

Talked to vet, she said give the azithromyacin again tomorrow late in the day, instead of skipping. The prescription originally fir every other day as is potent . But since she was so bad this morning, got meds at 9, didn't perk up till 3, we will give tomorrow.

Also I talked to her before Penny would eat, and she agreed about force feeding, but also now wants to wait since she is eating...so we will see what tomorrow brings

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It drives one nuts, but it is common with some illness that the Parrot will swing in and out of the effects of the illness. Its a fight that she is in and the illness is also fighting for its life.

The medication is a must and sticking with the schedule is serious to keep her ahead of the illness. Your interaction with your Vet is near perfection!

Be strong dear friend, she needs you. Remember that they are tuned to our emotions, plus their natural want to hide her illness.

Continued, huge, warm Amazon Feather hugs and prayers your way...

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks Sailboat, it is a fight, and I aim to WIN!

And more on her weight, while she went from 100 grams to 94 grams that doesn't tell the whole story. Her body is becoming bony and would indicate a more profound weight loss. My vet and I feel she is retaining fluid. Which fluid weight, is hiding true weight loss. Since she is so sick and likely was septic, ( bacteria in blood and through out body, not confined to one discrete spot of localize infection) she could have free fluid in her abdomen.....

In this case weight loss doesn't doesn't tell rge whole story . Her keel sticking out and muscle wasting tells tge true story

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Also asked about yogurt. First off as we well know, not enough studies done on parrots at all and this topic included. On store bought probiotic for birds, not well regulated. I agree why I use yogurt. Does she recommend pro biotic or yogurt to clients, no. If a client tells her they feed yogurt she is ok with that. . If i want to feed yogurt to Penny she us fine with that, I mentioned I didn't want Penny to develop yeast overgrowth while on antibiotics. She agreed yeast overgrowth in burds while in antibiotics can be a problem. She said it " possible " the yogurt will help prevent that. But again this is nit something she tells clients, or recommends clients do when she prescribe antibiotics.
So this falls under my " opinion " and my experience and observations. I will be continuing to feed yogurt.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Glad to hear that she ate today - you’re doing such an amazing job with her. I’m so sorry that she’s sick, been watching your updates and sending positive thoughts. Hugs to you both.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When I woke up, I found her so sound asleep I thought she was gone.. but I think it was a healing sleep. As when she woke 2 huge normal poops! Came right to feed dish and ate 15 peas bam! I was making other stuff for her but wanted her to have some thing while i cooked, was super surprised she are them all! Lol no room for the other stuff I offered. She has free choice seeds and pellets and a treat stick and millit, but hadn't been eating those.

Nostril was dry last night and still dry this morning. Still squinting that right eye.

She flew to my shoulder while collection of poop. I have tge other quakers and GCC out, they all attacked her... :( I guess the flock if action. :( no body got hurt, and I locked up everyone, so I csn be with Penny

This is her double morning poop!! So thrilled!!

laurasea-albums-penny-picture22972-20210105-103321.jpg

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Go Penny!!! Hungry is good, I'm so happy! That is one whopping poop for a little bird. Geez! Fingers crossed for continued positive progress. You got this, Penny! And as always, fantastic job, Laura :)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Go Penny!!! Hungry is good, I'm so happy! That is one whopping poop for a little bird. Geez! Fingers crossed for continued positive progress. You got this, Penny! And as always, fantastic job, Laura :)

It is!! I should have weighed it!! Lol

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
First pic, if you look close can see right eye squint, left eye open. Not fluffed yippee ( for guests, neck is plucked, not new)
laurasea-albums-penny-picture22973-20210105-110856.jpg

Right side, note dry nostril but some icky on feathers
laurasea-albums-penny-picture22974-20210105-110902.jpg

Left side, got that eye open not asleep! Not fluffed! Well only minor fluff on back
laurasea-albums-penny-picture22975-20210105-110917.jpg

Edit: sent happy poop pic, and eye squint pics to vet. She is going to extend Penny's azithromyacin another 10 days. Because of yesterday's set back, and today's still squinting eye, thisvFriday has been her original last dose day.
Penny wouldn't get a dose till tomorrow, but because of yesterday I will give her meds again shortly and check weight per doctor orders.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts