People friendly bird recipes

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Been noting bird food ingredients (thanks to those who compiled ingredients lists here) and considering trying to come up with a recipe or two that is good for me and my keets. Something I can make in bulk, and freeze little plops of leftovers for my birds. I love offering them fresh foods but so much ends up going to waste as it sits out and gets limp.

Does anyone have a go to recipe that is a favorite? A grain salad, for example, with onions/garlic/dressing that can be added after bird portions are divided from the batch.

Have also considered baby food products, such as limited ingredient toddler finger foods and veggie purée. Anyone have any luck with these quick foods? And if so, which foods have your birds eaten?

Thanks!
Laura

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My fav quick food is frozen organic peas/carrot/corn mixes, sometimes with green beans as well! They have the steam in bag versions and I can eat them too. When I make those for the kids I don’t salt them and give the birds some too.

If you want something that’s more of a people - meal, the organic pre made salad mixes you can buy by the bag often have spring mixes with carrot that are parrot safe, and the toppings (like the dressing, protein or nuts) are bagged separately! Those are easy to share on the fly too.

For a frozen chop mix, I like a quinoa base with mixed peppers & root vegetables (cooked beet, carrot), sprouts, and a fruit of your choice. I must confess I’ve never tried eating one, but theoretically with some seasoning or a vinaigrette I bet it would be palatable. I mix up whatever I put in depending on what’s organic at the store when I go. I’m due to make another batch of chop soon though, and now I’m kind of tempted to figure out if I can make something I can share with Kirby for lunch!

Most Reactions