People like this drive me crazy!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this but, ugh, this kind of stuff just infuriates me. I was looking on craigslist, for no particular reason, I just like to look, and there is a 6 year old goffin for sale because the woman "just can't do the loving thing anymore". The poor bird is in what I'm pretty sure is a dog crate, on the floor(and they have a large dog that can walk right up to the cage because it's in the one picture), the only perches that you can see are wooden dowels, the same size and texture, the cage is an absolute mess, and there are no toys to be seen anywhere! I would be ashamed to post something like this if I were them, AND they are asking $1000 for the poor bird. I just hope he finds a better home than this one. 6 year old Goffin Cockatoo here's a link to the ad although it will probably get flagged because they are asking so much for him. I'm done ranting now...

PrettyInInk87

Jul 6, 2011
San Diego
Parrots
"Apple" Yellow-sided Green Cheeck Conure
That is insane! Poor thing... Sadly we see this everywhere and really can't imagine the stuff we don't see. You have to get her husbands approval? I'm sure any other home would be much better than that. :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I think it was a mistake made from the beginning, her husband got her the bird, she may not be a bird person. The husband probably likes the bird more then her. I wish people would discuss about getting one even if its supposed to be a surprise so things like this wouldn't happen.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
It doesn't look like that cage has been cleaned for weeks, the seed and poop looks like it is actually coming up above the grate at the bottom of the cage, not too mention overflowing out of the sides. Why in the world would you buy a cockatoo and then decide that you "can't do the loving thing anymore". I think I am very quickly loosing faith in humanity. I can't believe that bird isn't in serious stages of plucking in a cage like that, my goffin had to be constantly entertained or she got very self destructive and loud, that's probably why they are really getting rid of him, the poor bird probably screams his head off in boredom all day, not to mention fear from being on the floor all the time.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
E mail them and suggest a rescue, and also suggest $1000 isn't a rehoming fee, and selling parrots is prohibited on craigslist, and also no one in their right mine is going to pay that for a parrot trapped in a cage, with no toys, no love, and that probably has issues.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
surely you have animal welfare laws!! in the uk an advert like that will start the rspca into action! and bird be removed!
it makes me think if these can bear the sounds of an distressed animal, do they hear there childrens cries??

i dont like my sons gold fish but they are still kept in a clean, well maintained tank! an they dont make a noise!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Also... I just e mailed them. Suggested they give the parrot to a rescue.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I was going to email her but I don't know if I really want her to have my email address. I was thinking about contacting a local parrot rescue that I have on my facebook page and seeing if they knew of anything that could be done. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that as long as a bird is given basic food, water and shelter then there is nothing that can be legally done to remove the bird without purchasing it. Which, I was looking around and most breeders don't even seem to be asking that much for a hand raised baby goffin. The ad was still up as of a half hour ago, and honestly, I hope it doesn't get flagged because that poor baby really needs a new home.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Most animal cruelty laws are done at a state level. Here such things at the very most would be a animal neglect complaint. Thats if you could get an animal control officier to investigate. Our local county shelter spends most of the year not even accepting animals, laid off workers, etc. Their funding is minimal. We had a huge animal neglect case in a neighboring county, 30+ horse/minis starved to death, another 100 in almost dead condition, the culprit was charged w/3 misdemeanor countys of animal cruelty. Sadly he died b4 he could be charged.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
That's terrible! I can't stand that people can get away with such cruelty with just a slap on the wrists. I sent a message to that bird rescue, actually I posted it on their facebook wall so all of their friends can see it too, hopefully someone may be able to come up with a way that we can get this poor too into a better home. Maybe if she gets enough emails from bird lovers she will atleast lower her fee if not wave it altogether.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
That is a shame. I feel bad for the bird. I also check Craigslist on a daily basis and yep, it makes me sad every time I check it out. But it's like a passing by a car accident or train wreck, you just have to look.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
If facts be known, they are probably flippers. They usually advertise newly aquired birds on Craigslist and always come up with some sort of lie as to why they are selling them. The clue is usually the rediculous asking price, which isn't no where near a re-homing fee.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
There is nothing wrong with e mailing them and asking them to take the parrot to a rescue. I did it. Maybe if more people did they would get the hint. You could even give them some links to one. I told them straight up that craigslist doesn't permit the selling of animals and that is a sale price, not a rehoming fee.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I just pulled it up, its still there.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
I just did it again, and it pulls up for me. Odd.

Most Reactions