Perches the Good and the bad?

SunConureboy

May 25, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Cheeko- Sun Conure 7.5± Months Old
Hello All
Lately Ive been going quite often to pet store to looking at perches , But there are so many choices!:11: SO i would like some advice on which perches are good and which are bad . and which do you Recommend? The bird the perches are for is a Sun Conure :orange: .
Thank You. :D

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I provide 3 types of perches for each bird. A rope perch or boing, pedi perch and a natural wood perch such as manzanita. Check out mysafebirdstore.com :)

artemis

May 20, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Pepper, Sun Conure/
Echo, Green Cheek Conure/
Penelope Peanut, Maroon Bellied Conure
I agree with greycloud: variety is good. It's also nice to provide some variety in perch diameter, as well as perch composition.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yep, just like artemis and greycloud said; variety in type and variety in diameter. It helps their feet and gripping.

I'd stay away from dowel's (the ones that typically come with cages) and I've been told sand perches/cement perches are discouraged (at least my avian vet). I provide natural wood, such as manzanita or a comparable wood, and rope perches. Also, if you can, many here are promoting the benefits of a platform perch. I haven't gotten one yet, but plan to get each of my Fids one in the near future. These can come in a natural wood, I've seen in them in wire/metal, but not sure if they come in any other material.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
In my opinion mansinita and Java wood perches are the worst because the are so slippery. I use a rope perch, concrete perch, grapevine perch, dragonwood perch, orange tree perch, flat perch and one that has litte peices of rope coming out the end so they can play with it. I tried calcium perches but once your bird starts to chew on it it breaks off so I wouldnt get one of those, just get a cuttle bone and mineral block instead. My favorite is grapevine because it isn't slippery and has lots of difference in diameter which is the best thing for your birds feet.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You can actually get some fresh fallen safe wood perches from mother nature's store - outside. They are easily cleaned and fitted into a cage.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I'd avoid calcium perches and do as cdog suggests; a cuttlebone or mineral block instead.

I have a wood perch that I'm not sure of what it's made of, but it's not slippery and it's all natural wood. It has knobs and grooves, no two seem to be the same and I'm seeing them at the bird-specific stores. I thought it was manzanita, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Cdog, you took the words out of my mouth as I was fixing to post the samething over again....lol

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
MM, yes also get a cement perch (it's been mentioned i see this, lol), but place it in a place they have to sit on it, like use it near the food bowels and water bowels because it is great at trimming down their beaks and Talons.

Different widths of perches is good too, fat and skinny all mixed up is great on their feet!

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
Well our JJ has a rope perch a cement pedi-perch and a wood perch. She only uses her rope perch unless she climbs on the others by accident,lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts