Perjo not eating her pellets

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
The past 4-5 days Perjo is eating less of her pellets, Roudybush. She's always been a good eater, and she eats everything else I give her for the most part. But she's leaving more and more pellets in her bowl at the end of the day.

My routine is I fill her bowl first thing in the morning and leave it in her cage all day. I recycle some of the left over pellets from the day before. I sift them in a strainer and add some of the full pieces she didn't eat from the day before to her new fresh bowl of that day. I never reuse pellets more than one day old, and it's not like I'm reusing a ton of them, just a dozen grams at the most usually.

I'm guessing she's just grown a tad bored or tired of them, she's been eating them since day one.

Any suggestions, thoughts? or advice on what to look for to get to the bottom of this?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have never eaten a pellet myself,so I'm not sure how they taste..but maybe Perjo is just bored of them now? Maybe with the next bowl,try mixing in some apple sauce or other type of fruit sauce to give them a better flavor...just a thought.

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I use Harrison's (with lots of fresh stuff).
I never recycle due to spoilage concerns.
I *HAVE* tasted them and they're kinda almond-y wheat-y bitter-y... not that I am sure the Rb tastes them. Common wisdom is that parrots have such poor taste and smell that it takes hot peppers to really excite and stimulate them. And they're very healthy (lots of good green and great nutrients)!

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
It's probably silly to recycle any of the pellets.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think I would give her a break from them for a day or two and/or have a look see if there is another type she will take to. Do you have any parront friends you can swap some with as a trial? If she is eating everything else to the same extent she has probably got bored, are you weighing her on a regular basis?

The only other thing I suggest is to put a couple in a forager to try and make them look more interesting?

Remember that these should only make up approx 20% of their daily intake.

Last edited:
OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Only 20% of their daily intake should be pellets?

I was of the understanding that pellets are to be the main staple and would supply at least the bare minimum of what they need on a daily basis.

jdlehman76

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, OH
Parrots
Bella - Congo African Grey
I would weigh her immediately and keep an eye on her weight. It may be that she doesn't need the extra food right now, but you won't know if you don't closely monitor her weight.

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
She doesn't like the scale, and I have not made a perch to sit on the scale yet, I do the weigh by memory and breast bone check. She seems to be fine weight wise. I think she is a bit bored, b/c she ate more of her pellets yesterday than she has in the past 4-5 days.

I probably need to give her more options of fresh veggies more often during the day as she is becoming a bit more active seeing as she is 1 yo now, she's more vocal and flying around a tad bit more in the past 4-5 weeks. So she's using more energy.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
She doesn't like the scale, and I have not made a perch to sit on the scale yet, I do the weigh by memory and breast bone check. She seems to be fine weight wise. I think she is a bit bored, b/c she ate more of her pellets yesterday than she has in the past 4-5 days.

I probably need to give her more options of fresh veggies more often during the day as she is becoming a bit more active seeing as she is 1 yo now, she's more vocal and flying around a tad bit more in the past 4-5 weeks. So she's using more energy.

I have succeeded with a flat digital kitchen scale by offering treats and Plum's got to know what happens and will step on and wait often before I have had chance to reset it.

Have you tried putting some broccoli, carrots, cauli etc on a kabob for her to try? Can help in introducing new things?

Would love to see another pic of Perjo, amazing she is one already. :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I only use pellets by Roudybush or Harrison's if we do an overnight trip. If we go for more than a night, my niece preps pre made chop and feeds my fids. Bottom line I only use pellets if I'm not there to feed my fids fresh. My niece loves it because she has cash in her pocket. We pay her well, $20.00 a day. She does a great job because she loves the cash, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
She's just a bit bored with them, as the past few days she's returned to eating more of them. And I realized I was not eating my meals at home like I typically do, I was going out to eat more often, and she follows that CAG flock eating mentality a lot. Now that I'm back to eating at home this week she's also eating more b/c she sees me eating.

Now I need to deal with a small spot on her neck under her feathers that appears to be a little to bare. I think the start of winter in Ohio, which in turn means the furnace is now is use everyday, is causing her some minor issues b/c of how dry it is in the house. Have to start bathing her much much more while inside the house, and try to incorporate some coconut or red palm oil into her diet some how.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Harrison's recommends that their pellets make up 80+ % of the diet, so I guess each brand has its own recommendation. I wind up feeding the Rb less than 80, though.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Harrison's recommends that their pellets make up 80+ % of the diet, so I guess each brand has its own recommendation. I wind up feeding the Rb less than 80, though.

So little I am surprised they do not insist on 100%.

A sellers recommendation Umm :rolleyes:

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
I figure I'd put this here instead of another new thread.

Perjo seems to be scratching herself a great deal more than I recall in the past, her neck has two small bare spots, and I have seen white down feathers fall to the ground as she scratches. I'm hoping it's all part of her molt, but I just cannot be sure if she is molting or completed one already. My breeder said that a slower more subtle molt isn't a bad thing at all. I just don't want this scratching to get excessive and out of control.

Humidifier is going most of the day. I'm bathing her everyday in doors the past week. I've read a little about aloe vera juice. Any thoughts on that? Is there a thread on the site anyone can direct me to that has good info on aloe vera juice

OP
DRB

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
I've added butternut squash, sweet taters and brocolli to her diet, about 5-6 times a week. And she really likes all three of them. Since then she has been eating more of her pellets much like she had in the past. I think she was bored and this has helped add some variety and spice to her diet. Also been making more of an effort to keep a chew toy option in her cage everyday. A little more activity I think it also helping cause her to go back to her pellet bowl during the day.

Gave the first chicken bone to her, she grabbed it but put it down right away. Will have to try again every few days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts