Petco messed up our Pineapple's Wings

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sorry it had to go down this way, very hard on the three of you! If you surf the conure forum, you will see this isn't all that uncommon during the transition phase. Those little guys are very opinionated and fearless! He really wasn't a monster, he was doing what is his nature, you were becoming the chosen and he was driving off the competition! And, the flock needs a leader, let's see who is best suited! It is all about socializing the little guy. Moving forward, you will most likely face this sort of behavior again. Something good to read(in my case, reread several times)..
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

This changed our Bongo the Barbarian into a sweetie(most times)! The change, though had to be in me!

Also, follow the macaw forum, after all, a GCC is a minie Mac in many ways!

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I was beaten to it, KiKi's behavior is completely normal for a green cheek conure just moving into her new home!!! I wish you would have given her more time than a week or two, she would have settled in...Please remember this before you get another bird, because this will definitely happen regardless of the bird's age, it may be you that gets nipped the next time, but it will happen. They get attached to one person at first, then eventually settle in, though they typically do prefer one person to another. That's a shame, just please think it over before taking in another bird as this is going to happen regardless, though Petco sucks and please do go up the ladder about that wing clipping.

I feel bad for poor Kiki, she will likely be shuffled from Petco to Petco now, that's what they do once a bird has been there for so long, they drop their price a bit, and if that doesn't work or if they are returned when they are older they just send them to another Petco and start them at full price again, and then another Petco, and then another...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I was beaten to it, KiKi's behavior is completely normal for a green cheek conure just moving into her new home!!! I wish you would have given her more time than a week or two, she would have settled in...Please remember this before you get another bird, because this will definitely happen regardless of the bird's age, it may be you that gets nipped the next time, but it will happen. They get attached to one person at first, then eventually settle in, though they typically do prefer one person to another. That's a shame, just please think it over before taking in another bird as this is going to happen regardless, though Petco sucks and please do go up the ladder about that wing clipping.

I feel bad for poor Kiki, she will likely be shuffled from Petco to Petco now, that's what they do once a bird has been there for so long, they drop their price a bit, and if that doesn't work or if they are returned when they are older they just send them to another Petco and start them at full price again, and then another Petco, and then another...

If you feel up to it, consider swallowing your pride and going back and give Kiki another chance. It will make a great romance story!
The store most likely has her discounted, and her days are numbered!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

If you feel up to it, consider swallowing your pride and going back and give Kiki another chance. It will make a great romance story!
The store most likely has her discounted, and her days are numbered!
I wanted to say that, I'm glad you did! I would go get her if I lived closer...I'm sure they did discount her... Seriously, now that you know her behavior is completely normal and any bird you get is going to act that way at first, please go back and give her a fair chance! Any bird needs at least a month to settle in, if not longer. And you have to also remember that this poor, poor, poor little bird had gone through horrible stress with that wing clipping that most baby birds transitioning to a new home don't have to go through. So not only was she put through hell and back by having her wings basically chopped off, you only gave her a week to be the perfect bird? She's still a baby bird at that age, she's not trained, she's in a strange home with two strange people, her natural instinct, as with any bird, is to latch on to one person and protect that person from others which is exactly what she was doing, and she had more than half her wings suddenly hacked off and lost the ability to fly and was most likely in great discomfort...I'm sorry but giving her a week or two and taking g her back because she was acting like a very normal new baby bird, well that's not cool...

Where do you live? Seriously, I feel awful for her, if you're anywhere within 7-8 hours of me I'd love to come give her a proper, loving home...

OP
O

Operaman20

Dec 23, 2016
She's at the Petco in Deerfield Beach, FL on Hillsboro Blvd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

Operaman20

Dec 23, 2016
You're right. She deserves a proper loving home.

OP
O

Operaman20

Dec 23, 2016
Thank you all for your help. Even though Kiki was returned (a decision that I now feel may have been a mistake) we can at least make sure that this store's employees are properly trained to care for birds. The decision to return Kiki to the store was made by Amy (Kiki was her bird). She has been going through a great deal of grief from several personal losses (deaths in the family etc.) and Kiki's aggressiveness, which I now know is normal, was too much for her to handle and I agreed with her that, for her well being, we needed to return Kiki to the store (we have no friends that could care for a conure and me and Amy live together so I couldn't take her). I wish we would have known that this behavior was normal sooner, but even the associate at our local bird store said that Kiki would likely be a trouble bird (she was convinced he was older than 2 years). If one of you could provide a home for her that would be a Godsend!!

Most Reactions