Phoenix the VICIOUS rescue!!!

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
I wanted to tell you a story about a mean bird!

phoenix is a Scarlet Macaw we acquired as a package deal from the county shelter. The birds were seized by the state from hoarders that lived in the worst possible filth you could imagine.

At the shelter, the birds were cared for as best they could but being a cat and dog shelter, they were not set up for 3 large parrots that needed lots of attention and care.

We heard they had a Mac and went to look. When we got there and found all 3 birds, we were heart broken. We started playing with the birds and soon attracted the attention of the Director of the facility. She talking to me and before long came to realize that we were truly bird people and opened up about the birds. Soon she told us that she would really love it if we could take all 3 birds and she would lower the fee to $200.00 total for us if we could do it.

She said that the B&G Macaw and the Amazon were friendly but the Scarlet Macaw was pretty mean and no one could get near it. About that time I glanced over at my wife, who had the cage to the scarlet open and the Scarlet was just about in her arms, loving on her.
The director shook her head and said that we had to take the birds.

So, Right there I went on Amazon.com and ordered 3 cages and toys.

Forward about a year:

This is a video of the Mean Mean Scarlet. Enjoy!!

[ame="http://youtu.be/M1F-FZCs_pQ"]Pheonix - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://youtu.be/93LRadtHKpQ"]Phoenix getting funky! - YouTube[/ame]

:red:

Last edited:

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
What a beautiful sweety. Lucky birds, and lucky you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a fabulous video:)
You and your wife were meant to bring those poor babies home, it brings tears to my eyes thinking about how their lives have changed. More videos and pictures of your whole flock, pretty please?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Would you just look at that vicious thing? About ready to take her fingers right off! NOT. Looks like Phoenix just wanted to be loved:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Amazing how a little attentiveness goes a long way with a big mac...

Especially if you're not jumping every time they poof up and do the big bad bird routine.

Hoarders do the most damage of any of them...

And god! How could you take in a bird with a crooked beak like that?! I mean she isn't perfect, is she....

Yeah. She's fun...

Last edited:
OP
C

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Amazing how a little attentiveness goes a long way with a big mac...

Especially if you're not jumping every time they poof up and do the big bad bird routine.

Hoarders do the most damage of any of them...

And god! How could you take in a bird with a crooked beak like that?! I mean she isn't perfect, is she....

Yeah. She's fun...

I love the BLUFFING of a big Mac!! Once you know how to read them, it is just a game to them.

Crooked beak? How dare you!!!!!!!!! I hope you are talking about the bird!! lol He is a NASCAR Bird! He only turns one way in flight! lol

Phoenix is truly the most loving Scarlet I have ever seen. Scarlets are known for being beaky and not cuddly, Phoenix shatters that stereotype.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I know, right?!

That is an invitation to play "I'm gonna get your face!"

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
What a beak!
She is darling, such a lovely example of how these guys are just biding their time to take a finger and run! No really she is an awesome example of a rescue gone right and that birds from a rescue aren't to be written off.
You lucky bugger!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Im so happy this bird ended up with a truly caring family. As I read this I sit next to my recent rescue, also named Phoenix; an Eclectus who really does want to take a finger off of my right now lol. But we are making progress :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I can't believe I nearly missed this. Reading the story of Phoenix and the videos gave me massive goosebumps! :) What a beautiful and HAPPY girl!!!! :smile015: ...AND she's got rhythm to boot. :D

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I love, and I mean LOVE reading stories like this on the site. As much as it saddens me to know how many parrots are out there in the same initial situation, people like you that are willing to rescue them and give them the love they deserve really warms my heart!

Kudos to you and yours!

OP
C

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
In all truthfulness, the only reason we have gotten the nerve to get so many Fids is the people on this site. We know that if we run into an issue we cant handle we have the support we need.

Thank all of you from our flock of rescues!!!!

Most Reactions