Photos of Shaymus free flying

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I'm assuming there are forums similar to this one that deal with falconry. If not good old google might have to come out. I really want to try falconry, only problem is having the time to do it.
Seeing your birds made me want to look into it even more :D stunning!!

Websites, books and forums are fantastic for getting an idea of falconry, but you don't really get the feeling until you're out there with a falconer, watching them work their bird - it's a weird but amazing bond, completely different from the bond with a parrot, in my opinion :)

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
I'm assuming there are forums similar to this one that deal with falconry. If not good old google might have to come out. I really want to try falconry, only problem is having the time to do it.
Seeing your birds made me want to look into it even more :D stunning!!

Websites, books and forums are fantastic for getting an idea of falconry, but you don't really get the feeling until you're out there with a falconer, watching them work their bird - it's a weird but amazing bond, completely different from the bond with a parrot, in my opinion :)

I'm assuming it's more of a Business friendship type bond, instead of a family love, flock bond.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I'm assuming it's more of a Business friendship type bond, instead of a family love, flock bond.

Yeah, it's more like a 'you scratch my back I scratch yours' kinda thing. Your bird can like you, accept you picking it up, touching it, etc, but it hinges on food. A heavy raptor probably isn't going to come back to you because it 'loves you', if it does come back, it's usually because you have something it wants.
Like you said, not many raptors are social, and they don't have the same instincts.

The only exception to this that I know is eagles, which get very affectionate, and get upset if you don't cuddle them enough :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Eagles are affectionate because they form strong life long pair bonds, and are also much smarter than a hawk or falcon. I've read that owls can be very affectionate as well. Shaymus doesn't love me. And honestly, I don't want him to love me! Imagine a possessive cockatoo who attacks anyone around their person, or even their person. Red tails can do the same thing, especially when imprinted, and it's bad to have deadly talons aimed at your face! I just want him to like being around me lol

Shaymus flew awesome today, he explored some and flew a little over a quarter mile away then got chased by crows and wouldn't leave the ground. Had to drive over and then he flew awesome for two hours soaring and playing in the wind at the landfill

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I can't believe you can take such amazing photos and fly the bird at the same time! Amazing.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh my...what beautiful pics and video! I can't wait until hubby gets home and I can show him this thread! He will be amazed!!!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Here's a couple new video clips of Shaymus flying. I'll work on taking longer videos instead of short clips

He has stupidly dull talons, beautiful rounded in a way I would LOVE for Rosie and Kenji's to be. would still hurt if he bound to me. This is from bating on pea gravel, have AstroTurf at my friends I need to bring over to turn them into needle points.
[ame="http://youtu.be/6OKAM64HYss"]no glove - YouTube[/ame]

landing on the ground
[ame="http://youtu.be/wUMzAUgFEcQ"]bouncy landing - YouTube[/ame]

MY friend does my abatement at a landfill, and occasional fires pyro to scare away other birds(sea gulls, starlings, crows). Normally the raptors don't react, but this time Shaymus did and I happen to get it on camera too haha
[ame="http://youtu.be/tOI4MeqPXWE"]Pyro suprises shaymus - YouTube[/ame]

bath time in slow motion at a friends house, little fence up so little dogs aren't stupid and get killed. Best watched in 720 HD
[ame="http://youtu.be/eu4T70RgkaY"]slow mo bath - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts