Picked up the budgies on saturday

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
So, we went to pick up the budgies yesterday, I haven't been online a whole lot up until now or I would have posted earlier, been soooo busy with all the birdies the last two days :) It looks to be 3 males and 2 females, 2 blue, 2 pieds and the fifth one may be a pied but I don't know enough yet about budgie colors to say for sure. They are currently in the cages they came in although I am on the lookout for one big cage instead of two smaller ones. They all seem pretty healthy but I'm glad that I got them, they have been eating wild bird seed forever and their cages were pretty icky(poop and seed up to the grate). I got their cages cleaned up and hooked them up with some toys and good food :) 3 of them are banded and one is the son to the other two. The only thing that concerns me is that the one pied(sorry to refer to them like this but they don't have names yet) can't fly. His wings are not trimmed and I can't see anything visibly wrong with his wings, but when he tries to fly he crashes to the ground like he is trimmed. The guy I got them from said that this one could never fly but he didn't know why :( He acts completely normal otherwise, chatters with the others and plays with them, and he was the first one to dig into the millet I gave them this morning :) Does anyone know of anything that would cause a bird to not be able to fly when there is nothing visibly wrong with the wing? Other than that, they are doing very well and they are a blast to watch! I made the comment to my SO that they are like fish but more entertaining :)
IMAG1630.jpg

This is the little guy who can't fly, I'm thinking of naming him Barnaby
IMAG1625.jpg

Here he is again, his wing does look a little tattered when he is just sitting normally but when you extend it it looks normal.
IMAG1623.jpg

The three of them hanging out, the middle one is the female.

continued....

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
IMAG1626.jpg

This is their cage for the time being, like I said, I am looking for something bigger right now. And yes, that is a modified coffee can as a nest box lol. The other cage has an actual wooden nestbox on it. The can is gone soon, I was going to get rid of it right away but they seem to like to hide in it, so instead, I cleaned it out and put fresh bedding in it, I think I will get another box for them before I replace it, or at least let them settle in a bit before I start changing things around on them.
IMAG1629.jpg

IMAG1627.jpg

IMAG1618.jpg

This is the blue couple, they seem very attached to each other and almost never leave each others side. i could be wrong but I'm pretty sure these were the parents to the one pied male. And yes, I do plan to give them more toys but this was a very big move for them and they are pretty scared of the few toys I did give them so I don't want to bombard their cages right away with too many new scary items. I haven't seen any of them play with any of the toys yet anyway, hopefully they will learn to play with them when they get a bit more settled.
IMAG1620.jpg

closer picture of the blue couple.

Is there anything I should be concerned with as far as them being fed only wild bird seed before? I know the "baby" is about a year to a year and a half old. I'm not too sure how old the other ones are but I think they told me that they thought around 3 years but I could be wrong. Maybe I can get a date off of one of their leg bands... if they ever sit still long enough:rolleyes: I have them on good seed now and they are getting veggies as well, I'm going to introduce them to some zupreem tomorrow. From my understanding they have been on wild seed their entire lives :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts