Picking or losing?

annfran

May 30, 2017
I have had my Yellow Nape for 33 yrs, now 36 yrs. He/She (guessing it's a she, flat-backs and loves to be petted on back while, but has never laid an egg) has on a rare occasion picked a small patch of feathers out in the same chest area. I recently switched to some very interesting foods that he adored, then went back to previous food when unavailable. I believe he picked in protest to returning to old food, as at same time kept going to the bottom of the cage and making unhappy head movements. It happened in a day or two. I immediately gave assorted foods and favorite table foods to distract and now seems emotionally back to normal. But, today I noticed others spots that appear to be "thinning" as the other spot is growing back. I am not seeing any "bugs", and it doesn't appear to be boredom, as he is outside in our screen enclosed pool area and on open perch in house for extended periods daily, and gets bathed regularly. FWIW- It does appear that he is molting, as a couple of flight feathers look like they're about to shed, and we do have lil spiders and no-see-ums that get in occasionally--were in south FL. Any insight/suggestions? Thank you in advance-see pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpg
    IMG_3435.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3436.jpg
    IMG_3436.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3437.jpg
    IMG_3437.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3438.jpg
    IMG_3438.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 62

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for joining and sharing pics of your beautiful YNA!

He is in overall nice feather, so it doesn't appear there is any obvious illness. Has he had periodic visits to an avian certified vet? The picking/thinning appears typically localized and may be behavioral. I'll let our many resident amazon experts give more targeted advice!!

OP
A

annfran

May 30, 2017
Thanks Scott-
He is a super easy keeper, but has done this before...after a cage change, food change, etc. I tried to get a close up of the area. I have had him right next to me or on me the last few days and it appears the other side is looking a little "ruffled". I am not finding any feathers and he doesn't seem to be picking at them. He is happy and has ripped apart some new chew toys I gave him. Maybe it is just the molt. I welcome any thoughts and will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Curious what kind of diet your bird is on and what was being fed when the feather loss began? My gut says this is not behavioral. A 36 year old otherwise happy, well adjusted parrot plucking (especially an amazon, a species not really prone to plucking except in extreme cases of neglect) just seems...off. My mom has a 45+ year old amazon and even during her worst molts she never has bare patches like that. Newer foods have ingredients in them not traditionally part of a parrots natural diet and like humans, parrots can experience food allergies. That can manifest in discomfort or itching of the skin, which can cause birds to pluck. Heavy metal poisoning (and you really never know, sometimes even inexpensive toys made for parrots contain toxic metals or they get hold of some tiny thing you never knew about) can also manifest in skin irritation and cause plucking or even feather loss. Heavy metal poisoning can be fatal if not immediately addressed. Some nutritional deficiencies older amazons are prone to can cause kidney and liver issues which can also manifest outwardly in skin irritation causing plucking or feather loss (but her feathers appear in good shape and don't appear to have the characteristics of a bird with a deficiency, though you can never know without proper testing).

I would definitely bring your bird to an avian vet sooner rather than later. Parrots are well known for hiding illness until they are critically ill and nothing can be done. They can check for infections, poisoning, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances or have a better idea if this is behavioral.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Pacho (Female red lord amazon) did this once on her chest. I took her in to see the Avian certified vet and was told.

Female amazons sometimes pull out patches of feathers to make a nest.

I don't think there is anything really wrong but a vet visit is best.
avoid petting on the back and avoid soft foods.
just my recommendation.
texsize

Most Reactions

Latest posts