Pickles & The Fan (or) Men are From Mars

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Yesterday I was just exhausted and wanted to lay down and listen to an audible book and turn the ceiling fan on. I got up and looked down the hallway to make sure Pickles wasn't out before I turned on the fan. She was in her cage happily playing and foraging. So I shut the bedroom door and got comfortable.

Then my husband, for some reason, lets her outs and takes a run out to the store for just 5 minutes or so. So there I am "relaxing" in bed with one of those eye cover blue tooth speakers on trying to get rid of a headache and I hear a thump, thump, thump, squeak. I knew immediately what it was. I tore off my eye cover and started to call Pickles. She had actually landed on my bedside desk and came running over to me and wanted lots and lots of love and cuddles.

I just get SO frustrated that NO MATTER how hard I try to keep this environment safe for my fids stupid accidents happen.

I hope this little recount will help save another bird from this trauma. Thankfully Pickles is doing great today!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a male and having done more than a few boneheaded things in my life. I'm going with: So very happy that Pickles is fine!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
good to hear pickles is okay

Yes we are prone to some less than intelligent behavior, would it not be a more fool-proof method to remove the fan element of the light? (not sure if possible, they're not too common over here) And instead use a floor based fan with a cover over the blades?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I was thinking about ceiling fans if I let clark fly and I was thinking about changing mine to something like this....

Make you husband get you one similar for xmas and install perhaps.

amazing-ceiling-fan-light-on-3-way-switch_popular-ceiling-fan-light-turns-off-after-a-few-seconds_cool-ceiling-fan-light-kit-cover-plate_superior-ceiling-light-fan-singapore_valuable-ceiling-fan-ligh.jpg

OP
PickleMeDickles

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Thanks guys for all your input and help. We are kind of in the process of moving from So. Cal to NC so as soon as we do ALL fans will be converted to the one displayed above. I am so glad that you guys didn't take it personally with the men are from Mars thing. Don't get me wrong, my husband is the most fabulous person I know but our brains are definitely wired differently. Whenever I am helping him with fixing crap I have to repeat mantras such as righty tighty because MY brain can't just remember crap like that and it amuses him to no end. As he laughs at my limited brain space I just mumble things like "at least I didn't let the bird play with the fan". I can't tell you how much I LOVE this fan idea. I wonder if I can incorporate a light with it? No matter, the safety of Pickles, Winston, and Lady are of the utmost importance.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I don't go with the men are from mars bit personally. I more prefer "women are from Venus, men are idiots" it seems to be more true than the other saying

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
LOL I had the same reaction....I was like why would I be offended by a fact?

And they have them with lights, I thing that one has a light in the enclosed off side walls. Just google like enclosed ceiling fan and then hit the see images link under the typey window thing.

Most Reactions