Pineapple GCC Missing Feathers

ShatteredChaos

Dec 12, 2017
Orange, NSW, Australia
Parrots
GCC - Munchie, Harry || Cockatiel - Cuddles || Rainbow Lorikeet - Crunchie
Alright, so one of my Conures (Harry) is missing feathers around his neck, especially under the beak, as well as under the wings and missing tail feathers.

I recently got him from a presumably abusive or neglectful household where he was evidently fed on a seed only diet.

Some feathers have grown back around his left cheek where he had none previously, but under his beak and around his crop is almost bare. There is no down feathers at all, and the area is covered by a very thin layer of feathers.

Is there anything I can do to help him, and will the feathers grow back? The whole area seems very irritated and itchy.

Attachments

• vgbhj.PNG
    vgbhj.PNG
    44.9 KB · Views: 165

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.
Was he housed with another bird that could have over preened?

OP
ShatteredChaos

ShatteredChaos

Dec 12, 2017
Orange, NSW, Australia
Parrots
GCC - Munchie, Harry || Cockatiel - Cuddles || Rainbow Lorikeet - Crunchie

Not that I'm aware of. There's also that his wing feathers are kind of just.. dropping off. No pin feathers are coming through after either.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
considering where the feathers have been missing from I'm unsure it would be plucking. His beak can't reach his cheek, but the chest and crop are spots it can reach so I wouldn't rule it out. I would take him to a vet to get a gram stain and maybe blood work done to make sure he's not ill

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.

Not that I'm aware of. There's also that his wing feathers are kind of just.. dropping off. No pin feathers are coming through after either.
I think a vet visit is definitely in order.

Most Reactions