Jan 9, 2017
the great green Ontario Canada!
Parrots
Pumpkin (Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure)
Butter (Cockatiel)
Pineapple GCC
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Hello everyone!

I have more questions than i did a few hours ago...

Some of you may know that I am a new mommy to two conures that i have re-homed recently within the last month. Cookie and Mochi. When I first met them, i was told that they were a male and female pair but the original owner did not have them sexed. She had purchased them originally from a breeder who believed they were male and female.

I already have a cinnamon gcc, Pumpkin, for at least five years now, and I know she is a female because i had done a pelvic check. My pinky tip fits comfortably between her pelvic bones.

Today I had finally done a pelvic check on Cookie, the bones are square-ish and close together... my pinky can't fit in there... but then i did the same check on Mochi whom i assumed/was told was a girl... and.... it was similar to Cookie's! Do i have two males?!

Am i doing the the pelvic check right?!
also.... does anyone have pictures of male pineapples all floofy and comfortable so that i can see their crest?! I know it's hard to tell on conures if they are males or females visually, but i also know sometimes there are signs..

I also thought Mochi was a girl because of the pink feet, but also read a warning that it is not a 100% science that boys have grey feet and girls have pink feet.

Also Mochi does this thing where he/she(still not sure) fluffs up and does circles for Cookie before putting his/her head under Cookie's tail and Cookie would put his head under Mochi's tail in response. I know that this is a mating dance... but i have not seen them actually mate.
The two are very close and preen one another, but when they get in the super preening mood they both will start sticking their heads under one another's tails to preen!!

Is it possible that the pelvis bone is close together because they are stressed? so maybe i should do the check another time when they are more used to being in my hands?!

I'm sorry for all the questions but... but... I'm confused now!

Is this why Pumpkin is smaller than Mochi?! because males can be a little bigger than females?!

23481d1578079729-returning-member-still-relatively-new-img_20200103_134418.jpg

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can order online DNA sex test easily for parrots, at least in the states. You print a piece if paper from the sure that has their info and you clip a toe nail, just a teensy bit to make it bleed, add the drop of blood to the paper, let it dry and mail it off. Results in a week or so. I use flour on a paper towel and hold pinched to nail till bleeding stops. I wrap my bird in a towel before I clip the nail. Can go easier with help. That's the best way to sex a bird. I think you can also pull feathers with the ends to send out, but I find the tie nail ckio easier. I use baby kitten tie nail clippers, and very careful to go just at the tip.

Cute babies!!!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
As above - males and females look the same and you can't say it on their look. The only way is DNA test. There are 3 exceptions when you don't have to do it:
- when it is possible to say the gender basing on genetics (first you need know parents mutations, for example: when somebody breeds two normal GCC's and babies are normal and cinnamon, cinnamon is she in 100% but we can't tell normal ones gender)
- laid an egg in the past (only females:D)
- had children in the past

So, probably you need DNA because it isn't very often to know fids parents, not incuding two other points

OP
Callimari

Callimari

Jan 9, 2017
the great green Ontario Canada!
Parrots
Pumpkin (Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure)
Butter (Cockatiel)
Pineapple GCC
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Thank you for the replies!

I was hoping to avoid DNA testing... but thanks for the information everyone!!

Most Reactions