Pinioned pionus

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
I have been given the opportunity to adopt a pinioned pionus. I visited her (Tiki) yesterday and my mind is pretty much made up (she is a big sweetie), but I know very little about pionus or about pioning (aside from what I've read online).

The rescuer has talked to me about keeping her secure because she has poor balance. In fact she has few tail feathers from falling so much.

I currently have two conures (a green cheek and a rose-crowned) who are with me ALL the time when I am home. I expect the same of Tiki once everyone is used to everyone else.

So I guess I'm just asking for advice, related experience, and the like.

34pgb4y.jpg

Tiki!

Al_96789

May 1, 2012
Media
Albums
HI
Parrots
Carla, BW Pionus
We're somewhat new to this, but we did have good results with our little girl.

Our girl came to us with poor wing feathers and took many months to molt and recover, and it's still going on. From talking to our avian vet, she said Carla needed fresh vegetables, nuts, protein, etc, basically a good diet. Carla does love chicken phat thai and pork lo mein. She eats with us when ever I'm home. I make up a small dish and she eats on the arm of the sofa next to me. Your bird's poor balance may be because of poor diet.

Carla has two cages. A 30"x30"x24" during the day which is in our living room, and an 18"x18"x24" in her (our) bedroom. There are several perches in her day cage and only one, very low, in her bedroom. Her bedroom is covered when she goes to bed, when the sun goes down. She gets about 12 hours of sleep a night. One of the books I read said they need at least 12 hours of sleep a night.

Good luck and thank you for considering rescuing this bird. Hope this helps.

OP
Z

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
Thank you for your input! Thankfully Tiki's rescuer is EXCELLENT. Good vet care, good food, clean conditions. I can't believe their adoption fee is $0... I think the lady is rich and just really loves birds.

That said Tiki spends most of her time ON her cage in the middle of all the action, but doesn't get much one-on-one time. I am hoping that with more time spent working with her, her muscles and balance will improve. She is also a bit overweight which probably isn't helping.

My birds also have sleep cages and day cages... sounds like we are similar in that regard. Her day cage is a little smaller than I'd like at 21" deep, 32" wide and 36" high but I think she will be fine as she will only be in it when are at work.

Did Carla end up regaining a lot of her balance? Is she independent or do you have to support her in your hands all the time? Did her feathers ever return to normal (I imagine this would help with balance). I guess what I'm asking is, did she integrate will into the family or are you still very careful and conscious of her at all times lest she fall down?

Al_96789

May 1, 2012
Media
Albums
HI
Parrots
Carla, BW Pionus
People that see her now can't believe she's the same bird. Right now she is on my shoulder scratching her head with her right foot. She climbs in and out of her cage all day long when we are home. The only time we put her in the cage and close the door is when we go out. This did take several months and it will probably be another year before all of her broken feathers are replaced.

I put some pictures of her in the pionus section of the photo gallery.

Good luck!

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Al 96789, was your Pionus pinioned? If not, the balance question is different for ZoeS's bird, who in essence, has had an amputation, which in humans equates to an amputation at the wrist.

It is sometimes done to 1 wing to remove the pinion feathers, to prevent flight. It sets them off-balance.

I got ALL of what I know about pinioning from either books or the internet (fortunately, not from my own birds) but wanted to mention.

My Pionus arrived with some plucked feathers, too, and they grew back pretty well. But the pinioning of your bird might mean she never will have good balance. It may also encourage the conures to pick on her if they can reach her, because they perceive weakness. So whether this sweet Pi can be with you all the time if within reach of the other birds is really a question that can't be answered online, as you are dealing with several personalities.

Be very careful in introducing them, don't turn your back (disaster can happen quickly) & you may have to have separate play areas or separate "out of cage" times, especially if the conures are flighted, since the Pionus will not be able to flee, if threatened.

I think you will love the Pionus - they are great little birds, although she might decide to claim you as entirely her own (Pionus do that, too!) Just be careful in creating a flock. Because sometimes it works & sometimes birds take an instant & irreversable dislike (and a pinioned bird is literally, unarmed.)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i thought pinioned was a colour or species thing! till i looked it up :( and felt a little sick at even the thought of it, but repulsed non the less

i do hope you are able to take her on

OP
Z

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
Al 96789, was your Pionus pinioned? If not, the balance question is different for ZoeS's bird, who in essence, has had an amputation, which in humans equates to an amputation at the wrist.

It is sometimes done to 1 wing to remove the pinion feathers, to prevent flight. It sets them off-balance.

I got ALL of what I know about pinioning from either books or the internet (fortunately, not from my own birds) but wanted to mention.

My Pionus arrived with some plucked feathers, too, and they grew back pretty well. But the pinioning of your bird might mean she never will have good balance. It may also encourage the conures to pick on her if they can reach her, because they perceive weakness. So whether this sweet Pi can be with you all the time if within reach of the other birds is really a question that can't be answered online, as you are dealing with several personalities.

Be very careful in introducing them, don't turn your back (disaster can happen quickly) & you may have to have separate play areas or separate "out of cage" times, especially if the conures are flighted, since the Pionus will not be able to flee, if threatened.

I think you will love the Pionus - they are great little birds, although she might decide to claim you as entirely her own (Pionus do that, too!) Just be careful in creating a flock. Because sometimes it works & sometimes birds take an instant & irreversable dislike (and a pinioned bird is literally, unarmed.)

Thanks for your input! Her rescuer has said she is very friendly with all people and birds, and my conures are quite friendly with the other birds they knew (I birdsit for a friend and coworker on occasion). At her current home, she spends the day on top of her cage as do most of the other birds, so that has been working for her.

I know anything can happen with these three unique birds, but I am optimistic! If ever the situation was unbearably awful for her, I could return her. I would really really never want to do that, ever, but it my conures were downright attacking her and she was miserable there would potentially be another option for her.

Al_96789

May 1, 2012
Media
Albums
HI
Parrots
Carla, BW Pionus
@KBEquine, no she is no pinioned thankfully, but I do believe she injured her left wing at one time. I too had to look it up.

@ZoeS, I never really considered getting a parrot. Carla found us. She was with us for a few days before I found out she is a Pionus. She is very sweet, but very possessive. When she is on my shoulder my wife has to be careful when she kisses me. Carla has scolded her when she put her hand on my leg while we were watching TV.

I hope you have fun and a great life with Tiki.

Most Reactions

Latest posts