Plank perches?

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
I was reading something today that made me think of Safira and her macaws night frights so I thought I would bring it here for members to try(if they haven't already).

It's from a blogger on the birdtricks blog and it seemed to make sense to me.
Her macaw would whine during the night and seemed to become to unsettled to sleep so she put a flat plank of untreated wood in the cage as a kind of shelf and it seems to have worked. It makes him feel more secure when he's sleeping.

heres the link so anyone who hasn't read it can look into it

What Works For Some Birds Doesn’t For Others

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I just ordered the flat natural perches from mysafebirdstore for all of my gcc's because I thought they might want to sleep with their feet flat because they have to perch all day and because Sully and Bella usually sleep in a nest box but since I took it down I thought the next best thing would be flat perches.
Here is what I ordered...
Flat perches for handicapped parrots

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I've used flat platform perches for old birds with feet problems, birds with 1 leg, and my friend used them for her blind Macaw. They're also good for any bird, because they offer another surface other than round perches like dowels or branches.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I plan on getting one for Jewels, the way she sleeps looks so uncomfortable lol

I don't know how she does it

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'd like to get a flat perch for Puck. I think he'd like it up high. He often leans on something while he sleeps. lol.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rosie has 2 nice platforms in her cage and spends much of her cage time on them. Love the ones in the links.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Jewels sleeps with one foot on a toy and the other holding onto the cage bars lol

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
You can make these so cheaply. My son in law made mine. His Hidey Hut is on it and makes a balcony for him. I have two others as well. He rounded the corners for me. Attached with washers and wing nuts. The ones online are so expensive. See pic

Last edited:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
You can make these so cheaply. My son in law made mine. His Hidey Hut is on it and makes a balcony for him. I have two others as well. He rounded the corners for me. Attached with washers and wing nuts. The ones online are so expensive. See pic

Easy to make if you have the tools ;) We don't have the tools and probably won't for a while yet. No saws, barely a workable drill, etc.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I've seen a lot of them that they use for degu's and other rodent-y animals. Considered getting one for Merlin, but I like what he's using at the moment. It is a good idea especially for birds that struggle to perch or prefer to 'lie down' to sleep as Merlin does often :)

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Ya the rodent ones are good for smaller birds, that's what I'm going to use for Jewels

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Hey Hey!

I see my name! :D Better late than never?

I was debating putting a plank in there, I think she'd like a little shelf. I think I'd get the grated kind though so she had a little something extra to grip if she does have one of those knee-jerk reactions. lol.. though she's better now that she's double-covered.

Good Idea!

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
I think most birds would enjoy a flat surface to relax on,

glad to here that here that everyones getting a good nights sleep haha

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I think most birds would enjoy a flat surface to relax on,

glad to here that here that everyones getting a good nights sleep haha

Oh my god you have noooo idea how nice it is. Not just for myself, but my Sister no longer wants to kill me, and my other animals are able to sleep well too!

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Wow did I ever massacre that sentence!!!

I have only ever heard a macaw scream in person once, and I was totally not expecting it needless to say I let out quite the girly noise after lol.

I can't imagine waking up to that though!!!

Inspector_Spacetime

May 14, 2012
US
Parrots
Owned by Yoshi (Hahn's Macaw) Flock mate to Afie (Congo African Grey), Sparky and Oz (cockatiels), and Junior (budgie.)
Interesting. Thanks for the link! We have a plank perch for our budgie's arthritis and she seems to like it. I haven't noticed a decrease in night frights though (luckily her's aren't too bad.)

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Ivy- budgie
Every bird is different so what works for some doesn't work for others, are lovely feathered friends just want to keep us guessing lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts