Planning first road trip with my girl :)

Tonia

May 26, 2013
Ok...so Miss Raini (formerly known as Daisy) and I plus my hubby and our 4 girls will be traveling approx 14 hours to St. Louis the week of July 4th! Since she has never travelled before. I'd love some guidance please :)

~~~Tonia

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Tonia :)

I would get Raini either a travel cage or a pet carrier, and start getting her used to it now, so that when the time for travel comes, she won't be afraid of her new, temporary enclosure. :) Amazons usually travel quite well, and are less inclined to freak out on you.

I'd make several stops along the way to get her out and let her stretch her wings. :)

In case you wonder what type of pet carrier I'm talking about...something along these lines:
Petmate Kennel Cab Fashion Series - Summer PETssentials - Dog - PetSmart

You can easily attach a perch to those things and some food dishes, too.

OP
T

Tonia

May 26, 2013
Ok....that looks absolutely doable!! I hate to sound dumb...but how does one attach a perch? **blush** By the way....LOVING this forum!! :):green:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ok....that looks absolutely doable!! I hate to sound dumb...but how does one attach a perch? **blush** By the way....LOVING this forum!! :):green:

Cut the the desired perch to the right length, drill small pivot holes, align inside the carrier, mark on the outside of the carrier where the perch will be, drill pivot holes into carrier, then use stainless screws to attach the perch to the carrier. :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Well, since I don't know her specie, I'll generalize.....whenever my birds have joined me on road trips, they're in cages large enough form them to be comfortable, but not so large as to impede luggage & passenger comfort.....

I always make sure they can see what's going on around them, i.e. clear window vantage.....and since I've never had a carsick bird, I attribute it to their being able to to see out, rather than being covered.....

With so many females, you'll probably be stopping a good bit, but I used to feed my guys grapes, orange & apple slices for both food & water.....water tends to get messy at times.....

Have a good trip.....

Last edited:
OP
T

Tonia

May 26, 2013
Hi WECO...and thanks for your tips. Raini is a Blue Fronted Amazon and will be turning a year old on Wednesday...June 5th!

~~Tonia

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots

Cut the the desired perch to the right length, drill small pivot holes, align inside the carrier, mark on the outside of the carrier where the perch will be, drill pivot holes into carrier, then use stainless screws to attach the perch to the carrier. :)

Hmmmm, I guess Wendy wants Raini to get in shape for log rolling contests, what with all those pivot holes.....are you guys headed fo the Pacific Northwest or some other of Paul Bunyon's favorite areas ? ? ?

OOOhhhh, maybe Wendy meant pilot holes, the kind you pre-drill so you're not splitting things, yep, that just might be what she was referring to.....have you been out sampling how-does-your-garden-grow Wendy ? ? ?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Hmmmm, I guess Wendy wants Raini to get in shape for log rolling contests, what with all those pivot holes.....are you guys headed fo the Pacific Northwest or some other of Paul Bunyon's favorite areas ? ? ?

OOOhhhh, maybe Wendy meant pilot holes, the kind you pre-drill so you're not splitting things, yep, that just might be what she was referring to.....have you been out sampling how-does-your-garden-grow Wendy ? ? ?

ROFLMAO!!! Forgive this German...pretty please. Sometimes I'm lacking the right words. :eek:

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Here's a vid about how Michael built his carrier for his cape parrot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusbKQ4Evok]Building Parrot Carrier for Truman Cape Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
ROFLMAO!!! Forgive this German...pretty please. Sometimes I'm lacking the right words. :eek:

Aber, Es ist verzeihen Kleinen .....

Für die sprache, haben sie jetzt complani der Deutschen? ? ?

Tisk, tisk, tisk..... (finger wagging)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I don't know who did the translation. :eek:

The first line I sort of understood, but the second one even I am clueless, LOL. What is "complani"??? I promise, that's not German. ;)

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Norman
I have a Sterilite large CLEAR plastic storage container. I used a Dremel hand drill and placed a couple of perches, bowls, toys, and lots of air holes for my Amazon. It only cost me about 15 dollars. It works great for the car ONLY. The one thing I ALWAYS put in the carrier is a fresh corn on the cob. I usually hang it. Norman can stay entertained for hours shredding the corn...very messy but worth it, if your bird likes corn:30:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have a wired dog crate that was modified for my macaw and it doesn't have a grate. I have come to hate it because Merlin thinks it's great fun to play with the newspaper on the bottom. Needless to say, I am constantly changing the paper to keep him clean because he poops a lot.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots

I don't know who did the translation. :eek:

The first line I sort of understood, but the second one even I am clueless, LOL. What is "complani"??? I promise, that's not German. ;)

Hey, take it up with Google.....

All is forgiven little one.....

So now you want to complain about speaking German ? ? ?

Self explanatory ! ! !

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
BTW...Wendy & Weco, you both are hysterical!
Thanks Rita, but Tonia's probably ready to shoot us for stealing her thread.....

What part of George Corley's great state do you hale from?

RitaS

May 27, 2013
Alabama
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Norman
Wendy do any of your birds speak German? I've tried for years to teach Norman a few words in Greek, but no luck! Figured my Dad might like him a little if he could. Always seemed to work with my american boyfriends:10:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy do any of your birds speak German? I've tried for years to teach Norman a few words in Greek, but no luck! Figured my Dad might like him a little if he could. Always seemed to work with my american boyfriends:10:

Nah, unfortunately they don't. It was hard enough getting my boys (24 & 21) to speak it. :rolleyes:

Now that my parents are gone, I hardly speak German these days. :(

...SORRY FOR THE DERAIL, TONIA.

Most Reactions

Latest posts