Play gym height?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
My B&G is getting his own custom PVC play gym! My Zon and Conures have one as well just note simple.

A lot of the designs I found for a gym were tall. It's going to be about 4-5 foot wide so there is plenty of room for toys and levels. Mind you he will never be alone on it.

Is it better to keep him chest height or is it safe to make it higher even though he's a baby and new to me?

MosaicMadness

Nov 20, 2015
Media
Virginia
Parrots
Jenks-RFM 13 yrs, Mox-BTM 9 mos, Widget-RB2 11mos, Artie-WCpi 17 years, Khalessi-BWpi 4 yrs, Winslow-Meyers 6 yrs
Personally, I'm short, so I base it off of what I can easily reach. Our macaw had a play top cage and the toy hook literally was touching the ceiling. For me, this was TOO tall. (I'm 5-2" so by the time I reach up and then try to reach in towards the middle, well, no arm reach) Made it hard to change out toys, clean, get bird when he wanted to play keep-away LOL. It's what you are comfortable with.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I have a massive gym that I built about a year ago. The largest bird I have is a Senegal, so I used 3/4" and 1" pipe, and it is tall in two areas where there is a swing I made with PVC and s-hooks, and at another area where there is large wooden block toy hanging. The rest of it is at my chest height where I can get to them, and the tall parts are just above my head.

Honestly the two tall parts were made out of necessity for the swing and the large you hanger, but it's never been a problem. Figure you don't want it to be really much taller than your head, or eye level, so you can reach him. That was my cut off, can I reach them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts