Please any help I can get is much appreciated

Dreamer

Dec 9, 2013
Hi, I have just rescued a 2 year old sulfer crested cockatoo which took me 4 months Igor was quiet loving and silent...our story is on face book Poppy Buzz is my name. I want to do the right thing by all. I have a large cage with a play top, I also have a small cage with a play top in the lounge. Igor within a few days is turning into a different bird. He has full crazy moments he has bitten me...not hurt me but keen to see my reaction ..he was only on sunflower seeds...I give him fresh fruit and veggies twice a day he has seeds and pellets. He love him gum branches I have bought him toys as he hasn't had any. I want him to feel loved and part of our family ( my 2 dogs and me ) one is blind and 14 the other is 9 and just curious he already seems comfortable with them. I have no issue with cleaning and feeding and special time...I just don't want to make the wrong moves to turn him into a spoilt brat....he lived his life in a 22" x 22" x 28" cage in the bottom of a broom cupboard with 2/3 of the door off and a bit of wood as a perch other part shut in front of his cage..he didnt have toys ..the cut his wing so badly and was bleeding a number of time before i got him..the day after I was told i could have him i dropped in a pet carrier as I would need a few days to get everything but didn't want him to be fearful he was sitting in shock blood everywhere he has got his foot stuck in the door of his cage all night...i rushed him to a avian vet and took him that day..he was OK just underweight and soft tissue damage to him foot.

Please help with any thing you can more on behaviour i guess than anything else...like I said I just want a well adjusted happy loving bird....not a little terror.

Oh...I am not really having any problems putting him to bed... up at 6.30 make him breakfast leave for work 8:30 and come home at lunch time to walk the dogs I make a puzzle toy with gum nut branches no problem....I am home by 3.30 i spend an hour with him and clean the cage his dishes etc...walk the dogs make them all dinner and them bring to the lounge room with us all till about 8.30 put him to bed.

Thank you in advance.:white1:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What a lovely thing you've done in rescuing poor Igor! Thank you for saving him!

It sounds as though you're doing all the right things in caring for his needs. I'm assuming you've got a bigger cage for Igor and will be allowing him out of cage as much as possible? If not, then that's what you can work toward. From the way you describe Igor's background, he may have some problems adjusting to a more normal life. So take things very slowly and be as patient as you know how to be.

I think just spending time with Igor is the most important thing. Find treats that he likes and feed them to him in little bits all the time. If you can, put your hand in his cage and offer him treats like millet spray or a celery stick. That puts a bit of distance between you and him and avoids a bite if Igor's feeling afraid. You'll know when you're gaining his confidence because he'll start coming to you, looking for treats.

If he appears to be nervous, then try to keep Igor's environment as quiet and peaceful as you can. Don't allow loud noise or shouting or too many people near him at first. Move slowly and calmly around him and always talk in low tones. He'll pick up on the fact that you're a safe person to be around and should warm to you easily.

When you're ready to move on, just ask here for advice. So many people have helped me and I've yet to ask a question that had no good answer here!

Best of luck with Mr Igor and please keep us in touch with his progress. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm no bird expert, my only suggestion would to let him decide what he'll do. He will choose to do the same things as you'd like, just let him think that it's his idea.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
thats really nice of you :)well igor just sounds curious. he dosent seem like a spoilt brat at all!! how is his leg now? better?

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Take it slow, let Igor settle in and get used to all the changes.

When he bit you, he was testing you. Go slow and let him set the pace. Before you know it he will be sitting in your lap wanting scritches!!

FunnyFarmAK

Dec 9, 2013
We live outside of Haines, Alaska at the far north
Parrots
I currently have a B&G Macaw, a Harliquin Macaw, a Goffins cockatoo, a sulphur crested cockatoo, a scrappy head, and 2 Congo African Greys
cockatoos will also "display" once or twice a day. This is where they flap their wings and make you realize how loud they are. Mine displays about an hour before sunset. So understand that to be normal behavior. Cockatoos are very curious so challenge him and what others stated is right, form your friendship at his pace. Just provide an open cage door if he decides to come out and soon his confidence will build. You are on the right track and will have a happy bird, (more pellets, less FATTY seeds). Good luck

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! What a wonderful thing you have done to take Igor and give him a good life. Best of luck with him. & would love to see pictures of him after he is settled in:)

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
Yeah I commend you for taking on this bird as well.:white1:
I agree with the other guys. let him settle in and don't let the bite deter you as like the others were saying he is testing you.
May I suggest go back to training 1o1 The STEP UP command is a dominate command so I suggest that and just keep a eye on his behaviour.
Its important that IF he starts screaming and flapping like a loon you ignore this behaviour walk past the cage NO EYE CONTACT and do something ease in the room ..and you will find he will settle.
Anyway good luck with this guy:green2:

Most Reactions

Latest posts