Please help!!! Is this a mating stance?

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Hi there!!

Michy and I are newbies on here! He is the first parrot I have had , after much reading online and books decide that I'll look after him due to my uncle no longer able to. But like much like having children, I don't but from what I can gather, having a amazon parrot no book can prepare you for!!

It's all going great, and have learn very fast on his behaviour and so concerning issue which the avian vet has overcome, he was rather poorly when I first got him!!

I know the mating season is due soon and he's just start this act, is it a mating stand, as my uncle says it is but to be honest he's as much use as a chocolate tea pot!!!!

Opinions and advice of any kind I'm very grateful for if you have a moment to look at this vid!!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Hwk25AAoA&feature=youtu.be"]parrot - YouTube[/ame]

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh my yes...LOL...that is mating behavior for certain! :D It will pass with the season.

OP
M

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Erm uncle says that he used to do this once a week? But I have read many articles saying the season is early spring ect should he be doing this as much as my uncle said?

If not, how long would you say an average mating season lasts?

Many thanks for your reply labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Mating season for Amazons is early spring however it can be earlier or go later depending where you are exactly.

There are certainly Amazons that are more vocal and "clucky" as yours is but it maybe just a sound behavior that he has gotten used to doing so repeats it even out of "season". Has he been DNA sexed? The reason I ask is the posture seems male, the pulling up his body and using a foot to scratch is what a male looks like getting up on the back of the female but that loud clucking is something I have only really heard that loud and animated from females.

Is he showing any aggression toward you? Will he step up? The thing you don't want to do even if he allows it is pet him down the back during one of these displays as that will encourage the behavior and cause the bird to feel frustrated..not fair to them:p. Breeding season is something that you learn to work around with Amazons in particular. Watching and learning YOUR birds behavior and body language is really key to maintaining a good relationship with them. It is unheard of imo for a person to get really bit from an Amazon without plenty of up front warning. They are not shy about letting you know exactly how they are feeling you just need to know what it is you are seeing and react, respond or avoid before it happens.

Congrats on him, do you know how old he is? Was your Uncle his only other home? He is really a beautiful bird!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah , i say a male. Do you know his age?? I'd guess 3-6 yrs old. Sure is a pretty BFA. Most of the BFAs we see are chaoco BFAs without all that blue. The best advice about hormonal behavior?? Don't encourage it and the less of a big deal it is early in life then the less of an issue it will be when older. Sometimes changing diet, location, daylight hours ,etc can help get them "out of cycle".

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
THAT is a male mating dance for sure! Ignore him when he does that, just turn your back and walk away. Unless you plan to breed him, you was to passively discourage that behavior! Our male BFA used to be BAD with that. We ignored him every time, and it took a few breeding seasons, but he eventually stopped doing it. Is your bird fairly young?

OP
M

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Thanks for all of your help and advice.

He did this yesterday morning, to which I left the room and hasn't done it today, so take it as it comes and work with him! He's very hyped when anyone than my mum enters the room atm and seeks more of attention if I'm talking to anyone, so I'm working on igorning him and then rewarding after he has calmed down and started on one of his toys, is this the right thing to do?

He's 4 and a half years old so you are spot on hen pecked :D and I'm pretty sure that my uncle was the first and only owner so far.

He does step up, but I'm finding it very hard to get the confidence to get him on my hand as he goes straight up to my shoulder, last time we did this ended with him head butting me three times and then flying at me when I went to leave the room. Does anyone have any postive reinforcement tips to stop him going on my shoulder as this is making out of cage time rather diffcult to achieve, being short and long times, ie before I go to work, I'll love to have him out and put him in whilst I save up for a java tree for him to perch most of the day whilst I'm out ect. He's being showing aggression when I have cleaned out his cage today, taking the trays and giving them a wipe and new paper after checking his poo, is this just a territory thing? Am I best to leave him instead of getting him out as I'm unsure he had much out of cage time with my uncle, due to him having a bit of a wonderland zoo full of cats, dogs, other birds, and many children!!!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
He is a beautiful BFA! I've never seen my female do that...but I got a reaction out of her when I played your video..lol. My BFA has been a little hormonal but not too territorial (yet), but my Sun Conure got VERY territorial with his cage when he was hormonal! I had to be very creative to clean his cage and got bit a few times in the process. Luckily he seems to be getting over it recently. He didn't even want to come out of his cage and if he did come out to the living room with me he would fly right back to his cage so I didn't force the issue. I just waited it out and for the past few days he's been coming out and staying out like he used to.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
My late, beautiful Pauli (Lilac crowned 'Zon) used to do EXACTLY that in late winter/early spring, when he was well. Brings tears to my eyes to see & hear that again.

When he really got going, he'd strut to one end of the perch, reach up with one foot and tap one of his toys, then take 3 steps the other way & do it again with the other foot on another toy. Very much a 1-2-3-Kick!, 1-2-3-Kick! dance.

God, I miss his wonderful dance.

OP
M

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Aww so sorry to hear about Pauli, mh434. I've just had the a massive worry because before he started this dance, I had to take him to the vets as he was sneezing, they said he's been poorly for some time which I don't think my uncle realised due to him fronting it out :C was really worried but the vets kept him in and hopefully he's on the mend, guess he's feeling better if his started this.

Hope it bought you some good memories though and comfort. Sounds like Pauli was a real goer, did you find just leaving him do it and shake it off as michu does the best way and did Pauli ever do it out of the cage, if so what was reaction after?

OP
M

Michymoo

Jan 2, 2015
Helmdon
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
He is a beautiful BFA! I've never seen my female do that...but I got a reaction out of her when I played your video..lol. My BFA has been a little hormonal but not too territorial (yet), but my Sun Conure got VERY territorial with his cage when he was hormonal! I had to be very creative to clean his cage and got bit a few times in the process. Luckily he seems to be getting over it recently. He didn't even want to come out of his cage and if he did come out to the living room with me he would fly right back to his cage so I didn't force the issue. I just waited it out and for the past few days he's been coming out and staying out like he used to.

Hahha! I wonder if you could record the lovely ladies rection, I'll show michu and see how it goes with him? Never mind match.com or any of those other dating siting...it's all about theloveperch.com we have here!

Glad to hear about your sun conure, hope he is still doing better and coming out of his cage? Cheers for the tip as well, michu calmed down a lot more too!!

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Aww so sorry to hear about Pauli, mh434. I've just had the a massive worry because before he started this dance, I had to take him to the vets as he was sneezing, they said he's been poorly for some time which I don't think my uncle realised due to him fronting it out :C was really worried but the vets kept him in and hopefully he's on the mend, guess he's feeling better if his started this.

Hope it bought you some good memories though and comfort. Sounds like Pauli was a real goer, did you find just leaving him do it and shake it off as michu does the best way and did Pauli ever do it out of the cage, if so what was reaction after?
Thank you for your kind words!

We never tried to stop Pauli's mating dance - we actually kind of encouraged it because it was adorable. Besides, when he was done with a dance, he sat there with kind of a "What? What're you looking at? I didn't do anything!" look.

Your post & video brought back poignant but wonderful memories of our Pauli - thank you!!! We cried watching it, but loved every minute of the memories it brought back.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
My yellow nape did a dance similar to that twice already but his was more of him( we don't know the sex,we assume) putting his beak to the ground,walking in a circle ,grunting then backing into me..like putting his back end on me. My bird is a rescue, I mean I took him from a bad home and all I know is that he is going on 16 is this kind of behavior normal for a bird that age? I think it's cute, he also does this regurgitating thing with me.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
.... all I know is that he is going on 16 is this kind of behavior normal for a bird that age? I think it's cute, he also does this regurgitating thing with me.

Yes, perfectly normal. At 16 he/she is still quite young. :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
LOO, welcome to courting dances,
!