Please help I've saved a ring neck

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
Gcc: Turk
Irn: marley
Budgie: beau
Hi I've just saved a ring neck from a devastating home he (he for now not DNA ) was in a budgie cage with two other birds all dirty and just not nice. We have got him home and he is sitting quite in his cage (new one on the way ). The man was feeding him budgie mix with a lot of sunflower seeds, what is the best food to feed him. Also when is the best time to feed him when I get the new cage or ASAP. He is also not tame any tips on taming him and when to start. He is 5 months old apparently. Please respond ASAP

Many thanks
Ricky & Louis

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Food and water ASAP
Fresh Veggies, Grains and Fruit as well as pellets are the best but at first still give him some seeds too as you don't want him stressed and diet changes should be done slowly.

Thanks for rescuing him.

OP
Rickypawsey

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
Problem is wouldn't he only be used to the seed mix he had. If I feed him apple and fruits like that and he isn't used to them what if he doesn't take to it straight away

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Maybe, maybe not.
Try offering him a few different things and see what he likes, he may love a change.
Birds have a very high metabolism and need to eat frequently, so offer him stuff and if f he won't eat it make sure you have seed to give him. Birds can starve in as little as 24 to 48 hours.

OP
Rickypawsey

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
I'm from the uk and it 22:40 here is worth waiting till morning ??

Many thanks sandybee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
If he is sleeping should be ok, but when he wakes he will need food and fresh water.
I'm sure you have something in the house he likes, most birds like pasta, oatmeal, brown rice. they can eat cooked egg, toast, nuts.
There will be plenty of time to get him eating the right things, for now just have to make sure he's eating.

No caffeine, alcohol, chocolate or avocado's

Taming him starts by earning his trust, talk to him, feed him,try offer bits of food from your hand and see if he will take it.

SolarCat

May 6, 2013
PA USA
Parrots
Sunshine (Pineapple Green Cheek Conure)
My pineapple green cheek conure was a very picky eater when I brought her home, and refused to eat anything but the pellets they gave her.

The first new thing she was willing to try were sprouts. There was a pack of seeds to-be-sprouted. I followed the directions on the package and put some sprouts on top of her pellets and then more in a separate bowl. She now loves them. This would probably be easier for you to transition your bird into eating, since sprouted seeds are healthier than unsprouted ones, but they're still seeds.
Sunshine's diet has slowly increased to include a millet snack every once in awhile, and this morning she stole some Rice Chex out of my cereal bowl (dry ones) and we had a blast eating breakfast together.
I think she was more prone to trying the Rice Chex because I was eating them, so tonight I'm going to try having a bowl of fruit and see if she does anything with any of that. I'm also going to start mixing in some healthier pellets to get her switched off the pet store's artificially dyed ones.

I have had her for just over a week, so it takes time, and you cannot rush things. Add a food at a time into his bowl on top of the seeds (or whatever other foods that you've managed to add to his diet that seem appropriate to mix the additions into) so he knows "Hey, this is food too!" and if he tries it and likes it then you can keep it in a separate bowl.
Just remember, wet foods cannot stay in the cage for more than a few hours, at which point you need to throw out whatever he didn't eat. This may mean you're throwing out everything you put in for a few days until he decides to actually try it.

Last edited:
OP
Rickypawsey

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
Thanks guys I'm a little less worried about him now he's been eaten and drinking. Just saw the wing clip that the man (butcher or another few words that I can't say) done OMG I feel so sorry for him.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Oh poor thing,

Preening and beak grinding are signs that he is getting comfortable.
Keep offering him good food and talking to him lots. It takes them a while to get settled in and comfortable. We would love to see some pics:)

OP
Rickypawsey

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
Oh poor thing,

Preening and beak grinding are signs that he is getting comfortable.
Keep offering him good food and talking to him lots. It takes them a while to get settled in and comfortable. We would love to see some pics:)

He is beak grinding now as we speak. Big step today he was eating when I was next to the cage when we first got him 9pm last night just sat at the back now just a few hours later he's up front eating away, also chirping this morning frightened me to death lol

OP
Rickypawsey

Rickypawsey

Dec 28, 2012
Essex uk
Parrots
I will get some at the weekend when his new cage comes I hate the one he is in for now as its from that ......... Lets call him man for now as I don't want to get banned lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts