Please Help!!! Liver disease.

OP
C

Croydongeeza

Mar 25, 2015
Yes he's having seizures, he's already been to the vet and I'm giving him 0.4ml of milk thistle and lactulose twice daily and aloe detox as much as I can, I feed him organic veg at night and in the morning.

I hate seeing him have a seizure, I just wish there was something else I could do.

He was really happy upto the point that he had a seizure.
Codi is a very stubborn bird and due to how he's been treated before he can't really be handled.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I hate seeing him have a seizure, I just wish there was something else I could do.

He was really happy upto the point that he had a seizure.
Codi is a very stubborn bird and due to how he's been treated before he can't really be handled.

He's stubborn because he's a zon. They come that way!

Just remember, you're trying to reverse a decade + of liver damage, on a bird that is so far gone he has the symptoms of end stage liver disease. That doesn't happen overnight, if it happens at all it is a minor miracle.

You're doing what you can.

bonesamon1

Jul 12, 2013
Mid South
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
My BFA 17 y/o Bean was diag FLD 30 days ago. We have owned him since he was a baby, so we are responsible for his health condition. Bean was never on a "seed" diet. We didn't feed him seeds, except for a few sunflowers seeds mixed in with hs other foods for variety and foraging. He must have gotten sick from other bad stuff, maybe things like parrot treats, colored pellets, hemp seed, Im not sure. Any way. He has been n a strict new way of life starting the day we left the vet. He gets in the morning a bowl of mixed vegetables like beets, carrots, peas, mixed greens, squash, sweet potato, corn, peppers, and a few others, and some whole grains all mixed together chopped up fine. It was hard to get him switched to this, now he loves it.
I have a question for you, does he still need to eat seeds? I still give him some seeds at dinner time, because I read that he still needs the protein in them(seeds). Is this correct? Or can he eat enough good stuff, like the veggies above, that he does not need the seeds any longer?
His polyuria seems to have improved, it does not soak thru 4-5 piece of news paper. is colors look better, he is eating better, more vocal, more playful, of late. I jut hope his liver is doing better. His Dr, who is a board certied avian vet, said there is still a realistic chance of his liver recovering. He is also taking 1 rx I have to melt 1x day called Omega Booster(palm oil), and a compound the doc makes I think its milk thistle, Sam E/SYLM/LACTUS, is what the label says. 2 x a day. I finally taught Bean to take it straight from the syringe, into his mouth, after failing at trying to hide it, and sneak it into him. Any way, about the seeds, and would the aloe also help as additional to what he is doing already, plus anything else anybody can think of. Thanks.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
NO! The last thing he needs right now is seed of any kind... discontinue those.

Is he overweight as well? Pecker was quite overweight when I got her, and that was also a large part of her problem.

He can get his protein from walnuts... And really, he doesn't need more than just one walnut half per meal. That's the max I would go.

VITAMIN A FOODS, VEGGIES, NATURAL PELETS, STRICT PORTIONS. And as much aloe detox as you can get in him.

And yes, it is possible to reverse this...

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm so sorry to hear this. I had a schnauzer that was diagnosed with liver disease at age 7. At 12 I made the decision to let her go, a very hard decision so your situation sparks a lot of emotion. At 7 she was so, so, sick. I had been feeding her canned and dry dog food. After she was diagnosed and the vet got her enzyme count down I got to take her home. I chucked the dog foods and started making her food, organic brown rice, chicken, rice, peas and chicken stock. Changing her diet did wonders, amazing wonders. I didn't know about aloe detox, but I stuck to this. At age 12 she had developed diabetes, and her immune system was so compromised she easily developed demodex mange and her liver began to enlarge again. The point is, changing her diet made the biggest impact for the better so definitely keep doing what you are doing. I feed my fids cooked brown rice, they even have their own rice cooker, lol. I mix finely chopped veg and fruit and add it, they eat it. I don't give them seed, only occasional seed as treats like pumpkin seeds.

Keep doing what you're doing and I hope you see tremendous progress.

OP
C

Croydongeeza

Mar 25, 2015
I took codi to the vet on Thursday just gone, unfortunately he's bloods show no improvement, although he's only been on this new diet a week or so so I'm not going to give up.
Codi still has a few nutriberries and I got some new ones called pellet berries although he's now starting to come around to Harrison.

He still won't take he's medicine through a syringe so I have to feed him peas with one drop on each till he gets he's full dose.
He's very up and down, some days super happy others really down and looking not well.

He still enjoys the aloe detox mixed with Apple juice just hope I'm getting enough into him.

Going back now because of me and my partners work getting a parrot was not a good idea but I'm an animal lover and he was being mistreated badly before. I will not give up on codi.

Attachments

• 20150306_150019.jpg
    20150306_150019.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Try Aloe detox. It is amazing.

I second that......it's amazing stuff, and will help. But an all seed diet is very bad for a parrot in the long run.

Needs a large variety of grains, fruit and veggies and even an occasional treat of what your having for dinner. Mine love smelt, and cod (baked and not fried).

When I have salads, the birds have salad as well with a sprinkle of flax seed ( good source of healthy oils for their feathers)

I make muffins using pumpkin seeds, barley, quinoa, cranberries ( which helps also to detox the liver) whole chopped dates, walnuts, papaya chopped....then bake in cup cake pan....birds love the heck out of it.

You'll find pellets are not always the best diet and I really question many brands out their....Some of them stink to high heaven, seriously. I haven't fed my parrots pellets in 2 years their blood tests are more leveled out now...Don't believe me, try it and get blood tests, you'll see.

bonesamon1

Jul 12, 2013
Mid South
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Birdman666 I can try to find walnuts, but will probably have to order amazon I am rural. 2 day shipping. I am having trouble getting him to eat any pellets. I have Rudy Bush Natural pellets on hand, but he is not eating them. If I withhold seed, I dont know. He does eat a large bowl of the veggie with some whole grains mixed in. Probably 3/4 cup or more. Should I stop the seeds (I shouldn't call them seeds, Nutriberries, Avicakes), and replace with pellets, and wait him out, for lack of a better term. What type of pellets do you recommend? Where do I get the aloe detox, and will it mix ok with the liver rx im already giving him?Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
C

Croydongeeza

Mar 25, 2015
Just thought I'd give an update as I haven't posted for a while, unfortunately Cody passed away this morning, through a big sezure of some kind I think, or some other type of failure. Since changing he's diet and giving him aloe detox and milk thistle, and lactose he improved dramatically, he still was having the odd sezure every few weeks I'd say, but he was happy, loved he's new diet. So upset to see him go, just glad he's at peace now. I didn't think he would make it a week at first but he was getting better it appeared. Anyway stay away from seeds is my advice, especially sunflower seeds, pellets and fresh organic food everyday and you will have a happy birdie.
Take care.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just thought I'd give an update as I haven't posted for a while, unfortunately Cody passed away this morning, through a big sezure of some kind I think, or some other type of failure. Since changing he's diet and giving him aloe detox and milk thistle, and lactose he improved dramatically, he still was having the odd sezure every few weeks I'd say, but he was happy, loved he's new diet. So upset to see him go, just glad he's at peace now. I didn't think he would make it a week at first but he was getting better it appeared. Anyway stay away from seeds is my advice, especially sunflower seeds, pellets and fresh organic food everyday and you will have a happy birdie.
Take care.

I am so sorry to hear Cody has passed away. You did really great, the best you could.

Most Reactions

Latest posts