Please Help -- Need Syringe Advice for Adult Bird

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Pritti's long-term oral meds are NOT going well. He just finished the injectable med, now is on 5 oral meds that need to be given via syringe. All they gave me is the regular syringe like the photo. So I towel him, hold his beak open, and a second person has to squirt it in. It tastes and smells HORRIBLE. He fights it, flings it out of his beak by shaking his head once out of the towel. He aspirates it throu his nare. It's a nightmare and has to be done 3 times a day forever, or at least for a long long time.

Is there a better syringe I can safely use? I've tried mixing it in every food I can think of to disguise it, except peanut butter (because vet said peanuts and peanut butter may contain fungus that is dangerous for birds).

wannabeaparrot-albums-odds-ends-picture10545-syringe-2013-12-28-3-32-27-pm.png

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
go to the drug store, and purchase a small syringe with a finer tip, about the size of an eye dropper.

I had the very same issue with Num Num, when trying to medicate him. Sarah held him while I had to do the dirty work.
He despised Metacam(for pain), would thrash his head, spit it out, aspirate sometimes, just terrible.

the worse it got, the more stressed we became, so I understand completely.

Evan(my A-vet) told me try and administer it under the tongue it's a bit of a trick but it goes down much much better.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I meant 1.0 ml syringe, here's a picture

Carmalita

Dec 27, 2013
nj
Parrots
maximillian pionus
i used the larger syringe on a macaw while giving oral meds. we would squirt in the meds and then using a second syringe squirt in strawberry yogurt. it took a few days to get used to it but after that she started to expect people to squirt yogurt in her mouth three times a day for six months after the meds. she was a funny bird.

OP
WannaBeAParrot

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Thanks for the help. Frustrated is exactly how I feel. The syringe i have is the same size as Crimson's photo. The photo i used was just an example of the type. I will try the under the tongue idea tonight, but just getting and keeping his mouth open is a trick too. I get so upset when he aspirates it.

I will also try the follow up squirt of yogurt. I will also try using three separate syringes with a third in ea. so it will be 3 small doses one after the other.

Has anyone used the kind of syringe the vet uses, curved and goes down the neck. Thanks for the help.

Carmalita

Dec 27, 2013
nj
Parrots
maximillian pionus
i haven't personally used a curved syringe but i could see how easy it would be to accidently use it incorrectly and end up putting medicine down into the lungs. i'd only try it with vet supervision.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi WBAP,

Sorry to hear about the syringe troubles. I can totally understand! The syringe I use is almost identical to what Crimson posted. Only problem is its made of soft plastic which Boomer chewed off pretty quickly. (I reuse it for at least 2-3 days after a good wash).

Mayden from this site suggested to me before to put his favorite treat in the syringe and feed him using it sometimes. Maybe you can try it. This is so Pritti could associate good things with it. For a while, I also mixed the medication with a quarter teaspoon of plain, greek yogurt which Boomer loves. It worked for a couple of days until Boomer realized I was mixing it with his meds. I know you are staying away from peanut butter, but maybe you can try yogurt? Ruffledfeathers uses organic apple butter I think.

Have you told your troubles to the vet? Maybe they can offer you another alternative? Sending you and Pritti good vibes.

Most Reactions