Please Help-Sick Bird!

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I am so very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that her last moments were spent in your loving embrace.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
I am so sorry for your loss. **hugs** going your way!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Too. Please let us know what the necropsy results are. Rest easy knowing she was cuddled and loved by you right up to the end.

OP
S

SamanthaAnnJo

Sep 5, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
"Samantha" Goffin Cockatoo
Got the necropsy results back yesterday-Egg Yolk Peritonitis. I hate to say this but I think the vet should have seen this. I am not one to blame after a death and I am still trying not to but she was young and inexperienced-First time I had been to this office and I chose it because the top vet/owner is veeeerry renowned but he was not in the days that she needed to be seen. There were key points that should have lead to this-I kept telling her that her abdomen was distended, I felt a round squishy ball like form, there was infection present and I kept pressing "infection from WHAT?!". I just hate the feeling of knowing she died from not being treated correctly-she fought sooo hard-and I HATE unnecessary suffering. I know the surgery would have been hard but I really think she would have made it she was tough. The blame is on both of us though-I should not have allowed her to lay eggs in the first place, I should have known the danger. and she should have asked for second opinion when she wasn't sure hat the infection was from etc. Deep down I know it is all for a reason and I am very grateful I went through with the necropsy so the vet and I can learn from this although it gives me a sick feeling.

So PLEASE everyone if you have an egg layer get the Lupron shots-the only reason I didn't was because I hate to pump animals full of unnecessary hormones/chemicals/etc but obviously it was absolutely necessary. And do not wait to take them to the vet-if I had taken her the first night when she just acted a little "sleepy from laying an egg" maybe I would have had more time to question and get her treated.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The vet is to be blamed! She obviously doesn't know what she's doing!!!! It is very obvious when their abdomen swells. You need to bring it to your regular vet's attention that she obviously needed more training since it's life and death situation she have to face.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your little one! If you need to, speak your piece to the vet, but then try to let it go. You did your absolute best for your bird at the time and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't really help much. You loved your birdie and she knew it: you're a good parront!

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
I am so sorry for your loss... I had read but had no advise as I am VERY new to the parrot world myself. I was hoping all would be ok. The loss of a pet is never easy especially when the pet is also a friend! *HUGS*

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Very sorry to hear of your loss, especially when it's from a malady which might have been fixed. Don't blame the vet though, they can't save every sick animal they're present with. We took our very sick eccy to a general small animal vet (avian vets aren't everywhere in this big country, Oz) who didn't know what to do at first but researched online, made phone calls, and came up with a solution. Thankfully it worked- and Alex was replacing a young eccy who I cradled right after he died so we were still grieving Jazz's death.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
My condolences. When my conure passed, the only thing that consoled me was knowing that she died in my arms and not alone.

bittybird527

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
a parakeet named bitbit
sweet little baby
im am super sorry for you. but you might want to take her to the vet to make sure she is not egg bound and might want to put a cuttlebone and mineral block in just in case

Most Reactions

Latest posts