Please help! Teflon toxicity!

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
I just used a brand new toastie maker in the kitchen with sootie with me and only realised as I was taking the toastie out that it's Teflon coated. I immediately tookher onto the bedroom and opened all the windows and turned on all thefan vents in the house. She seems fine but am I it off the woods or is Teflon toxicity a delayed response?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Teflon and other non stick coatings are really toxic if they over heat, higher then they are designed for, and then release toxic fumes as the coating breaks down. I wouldn't use the toaster again near your parrot or at all, the Chance a piece of toast gets stuck , and makes the unit stay on longer then designed is too high. Many folks say don't use Teflon at all, period. That's me. If I want toast I use the stove, the old fashioned way.

Keep your birdie well ventilated tonight, to be safe.

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
I'm unsure if there could be a delayed response.

When I was replacing out all of my Teflon the only manufacturer I could find that stated non toxic no Teflon in their toasters/ovens was Waring.
I only mention this & can not verify that in all models so please contact them directly if you find a model you like & don't take my word on it.

I hope Sootie is ok

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Get up close and personal with your Parrot! You are looking for a tail bob or pump and/or a clicking sound as your Parrot inhales and exhales. Those would be signs of the air sacks having difficulty moving air in and out. Much like an infection of the air sacks.

Yes, there are other signs, but above is what most owners will know or understand. If present, rush your Parrot to an emergency care facility, NOW!

I am going to guess that you got lucky!

As stated above, the most common are when one become comfortable with the device and it overheats. However, new units can and do fail.

OP
EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
Thanks for the help, we'll push her cage into the bedroom for tonight (she normally sleeps in the big kitchen/living ton) where it's better ventilated

Most Reactions

Latest posts