please help

sulfurcockatoo

Mar 11, 2013
about three weeks ago my family inherited a sulfur crested cockatoo around 15 years old. her owner died and the family didn't have anyone to take her so the owners niece an old personal friend of ours phoned me to see if we wanted her.
i immediately thought yes but since my wife was not really an animal love i decided to say yes only on the condition it worked out well at home as a trial basis.

well the story begins as this beautiful playful talkative bird just loved me to death right out the gate. the first few days i was her one an only. handling was a breeze and she was as sweet as sugar.after about a week she began flying quite often which really disturbed my wife that along with an unsual loud buzzer sound were the only things that bothered her about the bird.

i grew up with a blue and gold macaw so i had no fear of clipping her wings
myself since i had done hundreds of times with my old bird.

boy was this a big mistake!!!!

she freaked out on me and since then will not let me get too close or touch her. i took her to our local bird store who took care of the wings and nails for us and after the woman told me that since i was the one who would rescue her (the bird) she would again re-establish some trust and move forward. well that didnt work and although i have been very patient and not forcing the issue, going slow and trying to feed her treats and such she is still very distant and afraid of me. its been almost 10 days and i cant seem to win her over.

coincidentally she now loves my wife to death, and vise a versa this at least is a big bonus i would have never guessed that my wife would have taken to her in such a big way.

can anyone make some suggestions for the regaining of her trust and love as i really feel bad about not being able to connect or bond my touching her and cuddling. i assume this is cockatoo issue as my blue and gold never held a grudge like this.

also any suggestions about the shot clock buzzer noise its really loud and disturbing

thanks

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Welcome... my suggestion is time..my sun conure was with me outside and a hawk flew overhead..Starburst tried to fly away(he's clipped) and the hawk started to swoop..I grabbed Starburst and quickly got him close to me and away from the hawk...

Starburst associated me with the hawk...wouldn't have anything to do with me...nothing..flew away from me every chance he had..

Move slowly...take small steps with being friends again...you'll be friends again....it takes time..

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Oh and its not fun..I wasn't thrilled that by saving the bird, he associated me with the attack...but fear is treated differently throughout species... don't take it personally..

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
The method used to help a new parrot adjust to new people and surroundings could work for you. Just sit near your 'Too's cage and talk softly to her. Offer her favorite treats too. In time, she'll probably decide that you are her friend again.

When your Cockatoo makes the annoying buzzer sound, try hard not to react to it-- do your best to ignore it. Any other kind of reaction will just encourage her to keep making that sound.

Most Reactions