Please help

jaymaj

May 25, 2010
I just rescued an 8 yr old green quaker from a very neglected household. When we got her home she was almost black from smoke and filth. We have gotten her fairly clean but we are having a hard time getting her to not fear us.(we have only had her 1 month, and have no prior bird experience.) I have lots of experience with snakes and reptiles, so I understand that exotic pets need special care. If anyone could give me ideas on how to socialize her that would be great.
Aside from this she seems healthy, very active, eats and drinks fine. and really enjoyed being sprayed down and splashing around. Sadly, by her looks, this was the only bath she ever had that wasn't in her water dish.
Thank you.
P.S. I'm only assuming she's 8yrs old because her band reads AAC 261 m 02

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good for you taking in this very needy bird. First thing is to take the bird to an avain vet. She most likely has never been since she was neglected so much. For that visit make a list of questions you have. They should cover nutrition, socializing, general care and safety issues. I always suggest a wonderful book on parrot basics called Parrots for Dummies. It is a very good book for beginners and experienced bird people also.
Remember to be slow and patient with her. It takes a while for a bird to bond with a new person. Let her be in the drivers seat for a while unless she is doing something unsafe. There is much to learn about birds and their care and you will be rewarded.

Last edited:

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
It is actually not that hard to socialize a parrot. It just takes time and patience. If you're starting from scratch (a bird that is almost wild, and can't perch on a finger), then here's what to do.

First off, she needs to get used to your presence. You can do so by sitting nearby the cage and chatting with her, you can also sit next to her and read a book or a magazine too. You can clean up around her, and tell her what you're doing. All you're doing here is letting her know you're not a threat, and that you just want to be with her. You should start to see a difference in as short as a couple of days, to as long as a week. Each bird is different!

For the next steps, I also recommend these websites:
Taming a Quaker Parrot
Taming Birds

Most Reactions