Please HELP !!!

Mwolfe1080

Jun 4, 2016
Parrots
Sun Conure hatched January 2016
My sun conure's poop doesn't have as much liquid as it normally did. I'm also scared that this could somehow be my fault cause I'm in the middle of potty training her and he she is doing great. I'm concerned that maybe she is holding it in for me to long and consequently maybe the liquid portion of her poop dissolves into the poop. My sun is only about five months old and she is also losing feathers. When im scratching her tiny little feathers will come out. I'm wondering if she is just molting I can see new feathers coming in pin feathers. What do you all think

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Sounds like your bird be starting to molt. No big deal.

As for poop I would say my birds poop is different depending on what he ate,how much he drank,how long he has been out, stress, and so on. Bird poop should not be watery. If the bird constantly has runny wet poop you might have a problem sounds like your bird is fine.

ChrisDooley

Banned
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
I know as bird owners, we get very involved in noticing every detail, but I wouldn't stress.

It's molting season. My Blue Crown is losing and re-growing tail feathers. Yesterday 3 fell out. In my head a did a quick study of the bird's recent diet. But it's fine. We worry too much.

My conure will poop every 15 minutes or so when we are out and about. She would prefer not to do it on my shoulder, where she is sitting. So if I get her something else to perch on every 15 minutes, she will happily do her business so she can get back to her favorite spot. If she doesn't need to go, no worries. I still give her the opportunity and I have a clean shirt to show for it. :)

CD

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I agree with all of the above.
I remember when I first got the Rickeybird. Everything scared me! I would notice a slight change in poop or a ruffled feather or a strange movement and... panic.
I think it's very sweet how you are so devoted and vigilant.
I bet you're a great mom, too!

saracuse

Mar 21, 2016
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Day 12/11/15 - "Tiki"
I freaked out about the same stuff. Tiki is only about a month older than your little one. The first time I noticed her morning poop i almost had a heart attack. Poor little love was scared to death of my shout. Turns out a lot of different things change the poop. When she eats grapes, its very watery. When she eats her regular pellets, its red or orange. When shes eating seeds or a nutriberry its a brown color. Who would have thought I'd ever know so much about bird poop! The molting is scary too. She just lost a tail feather about three weeks ago and i panicked until I saw the new one coming in.

As a new bird mom, this community has helped me through just about every issue we've had (so far) and I'm sure they will help in the future.

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
We were potty training our GCC and our avian vet told us to stop because ours was holding hers in too long (she wouldn't go in her cage at all). She said that wasn't good for their bodies and also the fecal bacteria could absorb into the body if they hold it.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I once had the Bird potty-trained, for about half an hour.
I said "boo-boo" every time he pooped. Soon he started mimicking that... "boo-boo!" at which point I rushed to hold him over a newspaper. That worked just GREAT for about 2-3 poops. Then he started saying "boo-boo" every 30 seconds. After being played for a few more minutes... I stopped. I suppose I could have tried rewards or such, but... I just surrendered.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My JoJo is potty trained and I feel so bad for my lack of consideration of her needs! For a year!! Routine, we get up in the morning and I bring her into my bedroom and we hang out together, no poop! I then shower, no poop! We then go into the kitchen to her other play stand and monster morning dump! From time up to this point is anywhere 1 to 2 hours! Because of a work change, I am making a coffee at first light, so JoJo comes out to kitchen play stand to wait--- morning dump! I now realize I have been making her wait all this time, day after day! Mr Insensitively!
Quite a bird!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
It sounds like your bird is molting. And sometimes this is a stressful process. It sounds like your bird is fine :) But if you are truly concerned and the dropings get unhealthy looking, then do bring her to the vet.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Nigel is on the edge of his first molt and he's looking a little scraggly but I won't insult HRH with my observations. I give him plenty of food all day long, and make sure there's plenty of protein mixed in. Molting is no fun!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Truthfully, bird poop is not supposed to be watery. Normal bird poops are either green, brown or greenish-brown with a yellowish white 'milky' center. The milky part is 'urates' (urine) while the brownish/greenish is feces.

What your bird has recently drank or eaten will play a major part in the appearance of droppings. Any food with excess water content (ie fresh fruit or juice) will likely cause stool discoloration and runny stool as well.

I don't see any reason for you to be concerned though, as far as the droppings go.

As for the feathers, its molting. You mentioned your bird is five months hold. Most suns have their first molt at around 6 months old. The first molt can also be rather stressful (as with any molt).

PS, sharing pictures of your bird after first molt is done is a must! :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Potty Training Info

Rigid potty training can be a factor in cloacal prolapse in some parrots. Most parrots will give some indication that they want to go, a little restless, fluff of feathers, slight squat or even give a little nip etc so will give the opportunity to move the bird to somewhere more appropriate.

OP
M

Mwolfe1080

Jun 4, 2016
Parrots
Sun Conure hatched January 2016
Ok just in case anyone wants to know I took my bird to the vet. My vet apparently hates the pet store I bought my bird from and told me there are a number of different things that could be wrong with her because of where she came from. Ok well I can't change that so how do we fix it. Apparently she thinks my bird has clamydia stitosis or polynomial virus. (Sorry if I didn't spell those correctly) Anyway the later if the two is fatal regardless of what counter measures I pursue. The first one stitosis (because I don't want to admit my bird has the clap) is curable and as a result the dr gave my doxycycline. It's hard to get her to take it but I manage after fighting with her for about 15 min or so. My problem is accepting the notion that either of the ailments mentioned have remained dormant since I bought her all those months ago and have only know become active. Seems like bull**** vindictiveness towards the pet shop owner.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Oh, Wolfe, soooooo sorry.
Thank you for being strong and vigilant and actively problem-solving.
Maybe a second vet opinion???
Maybe somebody here knows more???

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
If you are not comfortable with the diagnosis your vet gave your bird I would suggest getting a second opinion. You certainly don't want to treat your bird for something they do not have. Good luck and keep us posted.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, second opinion ! My wife is pretty ill, and she is being treated, but when we were just finding out what the problem was, if she went to a MS doctor, she had MS; if she went to a Vascular Dr , she had vascular problems; if she went to chiropractor, she had back problems. You see where this went.

Get a second opinion

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@wrench13 I second that! haha

Good thing your wife never went to a psychiatrist! Mine things I'm crazy but I think I'm just special! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Lot of that going around.
OP let us know if you got that second opinion.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
On what did your vet base his diagnosis? There is a test that can be done to determine whether or not your Sun Conure has Chlamydia Psittacosis...granted the test can sometimes come back negative when it is indeed positive but then your vet would be basing his diagnosis on symptoms such as weight loss or breathing difficulties(I 've been through all of this with Mr Biggles my White Fronted Amazon which is why this info is so fresh in my mind ...) if he is just doing guess work then Id go for a second opinnion...dont forget to give your parrot probiotics after the antibiotics course. Hope your Sun gets well soon...the antibiotic course for Chlamydia Psittacosis is a long course...very long...so be sure you give probiotics.

Most Reactions