Please stop: "buying the biggest cage you can afford is the best rule of thumb"

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Re: Please stop: "buying the biggest cage you can afford is the best rule of thumb"

Sorry, but claiming "Lazy" is incorrect. When most people say that, they are referring to "get the biggest OVER THE MINIMUM". This statement is just obvious.

And as some has stated, their birds use their cage only to sleep so getting a travel cage is sufficient.

Also, that chart stated that an African Grey should be in a minimum of 48x36... Seriously? i understand what they are claiming and totally agree of giving them as large a space as we can. My Greys cage has a lot of toys and he has no problem with wingspan. I also believe that chart, if taken verbatim by prospective parrents, will scare off ownership since some statements (like the CAG) is ridiculous.

My Grey is in a 36x28 and the owner of an exotic bird store thought THAT was possibly to big. He stated that most Greys really don't do much in their cages as far as needing a lot of room. I didn't agree with him on the size so bought "the largest I could afford over the minimum". But "minimum" as stated from experts and Vets.

Last edited:

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
Re: Please stop: "buying the biggest cage you can afford is the best rule of thumb"

And a thanks to you (flyzipper). Great link.

Most Reactions