Plucking downfeathers

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
Hi all :),

My CAG has been plucking her downfeathers for quite some time now.. 1½ months i guess. I've never seen that behaviour before so I'm not familiar with it at all. There is no bare spots on her, however, when she does that funny move with her throat when cuddling her under her beak, I can see her skin. 90% of the time she plucks her downfeather on her throat, but occasionlly also on her back just above her tail and on her neck. She is going through a heavy molt loosing between 15-20 feathers a day! Also a lot of pinfeathers on her neck and head. She has had lice before, but my vet told me she don't have them anymore... I'm beginning to doubt that. She is out of her cage 7-9 hours each day.. Some days it is not that much but in average 7-9 hours each day...
She is 15 months old and I've had her since she was 2½-3 months old. She has been on a seed diet, then a pellet diet, then a seed diet.... now she is eating Harrison's High Potency. I've been trying to get her to eat both pellets and seeds but that seem to be impossible. She is offered fresh fruit and veggies every day. She is not that good eating veggies but she will eat almost every fruit available. She does get some veggies when I mix them with sweet potato, brown rice, beans or eggs. :grey:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Harrisons HP is very good for greys lifetime along with the fresh foods. I once took Rosie my CAG to the vet as she was doing the same thing with her feathers. She was molting of course with an element of hormonal influence. Vet said that was why so many feathers. So now she is doing it again 4 months later. Such a short time between molts. It's fun picking up all those little white feathers. I find them in the strangest places like my tooth brush.

Last edited:
OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
I'm surprised how easily Lulu accepted the Harrison's pellets. I've been trying so hard to get her to eat ZuPreem and she just would not accept them. Then I tried Kaytee and it was the same story. Eventually I gave up trying until I decided to try one more brand. I ordered Harrison's online (not available in Denmark) and when I recieved them I never thought in a million years she would eat them. They looked boring and did not smell as good as ZuPreem, however, they looked healthier and she accepted them right away. That was a big surprise!.
It's a relief to hear that also other parrots do it and not only Lulu. I will still take her to the vet to take a blood test so I can be sure she is 100% healthy or if she is in need of some vitamins or minerals. I'm picking up my second Grey in about 2-3 months. He is right now 22 days old and still at the breeder. I want to make sure Lulu is all good and healthy before bringing in the second :)

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
caglulu, you are from Denmark! My mother is from Copenhagen and all of her side of the family is there! I love it there and would move in a heart beat if I thought that my husband could find a job! I'm so glad to hear of a cag in Denmark.

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Originally I'm Lebanese but I'm born and raised in Denmark ;)
Copenhagen is a very nice city but I think that the rest of Denmark are pretty boring.. Not much you can do here :p
There is actually quite a lot parrot owners in Denmark despite it is a small country

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
That is the idea but it may happen that they cannot get a long but since they still both are young I'm hoping for the best

Most Reactions