Plucking may have started again??

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Well this morning when i took the cover off lucy(rescue)cage I noticed 4-chest feathers on the bottom of the cage.. That in itself doesn't scare me... As my other macaws are in a heavy molt.. But do to the fact that this bird is a known plucker... Is there any way to determine if she is plucking or just dropping feathers...She is pretty scraggly looking with patches of down feather everywhere... But she also has quite a few blood feathers coming everywhere (chest, head, tail)...

Thoughts opinions??

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Well this morning when i took the cover off lucy(rescue)cage I noticed 4-chest feathers on the bottom of the cage.. That in itself doesn't scare me... As my other macaws are in a heavy molt.. But do to the fact that this bird is a known plucker... Is there any way to determine if she is plucking or just dropping feathers...She is pretty scraggly looking with patches of down feather everywhere... But she also has quite a few blood feathers coming everywhere (chest, head, tail)...

Thoughts opinions??
One way is to simply observe her - in an effort to catch her in the act. Another way would be to take note of the development stage of the purged feathers - if the purged feathers are not fully developed, she most likely yanked them out. Also observe whether or not the quill tips are moist or present with any blood residue, as either of those conditions would indicate feathers that have been yanked.

OP
G

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
They look dry.. No blood... I watch her like a hawk and have yet to even see her preen..which I find odd..

Most Reactions

Latest posts