plz help!parrot agression

redrhino

Feb 15, 2010
Parrots
senegal
hi
i have a senegal parrot .im trying to tame him not to bite with a clicker but it seems not to be working.he will bite me every time i try grabbing him.is he still in a good age to be trained?any helpful tips

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Hi and welcome! Need alittle more info please. How old is he? How long have you had him? How many people interact with him?

Personally, I'm not into the clicker training thing. So maybe someone else here can help you with that.:green1:

OP
redrhino

redrhino

Feb 15, 2010
Parrots
senegal
he is a 3yr old senegal,is the to old to be trained,about 4 people interact with him

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Why are you grabbing at him? That alone would make a parrot bite from being afraid. Movements should be slow and gentle.
If biting is a real issue I suggest you may want to back up a little in the training process. There is nothing wrong with starting over. Parrots do not bite naturally it is a learned behavior. The best thing is to keep your fingers/arms out of biting range until the bird is more trusting of what you are wanting him to do. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Ah the good old clicker.

It's great when you know how to use it. Or alternately it is my greatest source of amusement when people don't.

It's never too late for a bird to learn. The saying about an old dog and new tricks is just flat out wrong. Dogs can learn at any age, as can birds ... but I often have my doubts about humans.

How do you use the clicker? What kind of training are you doing?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It's never too late for a bird to learn. The saying about an old dog and new tricks is just flat out wrong. Dogs can learn at any age, as can birds ... but I often have my doubts about humans. :eek:

AD I totally agree with you LoL :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
No matter how old a bird is, they can always be trained. :green1:
Spend time bonding with the bird.
Keep talking to him, let him know you mean no harm.
Sit near the cage and interact with him, make no attempts to hold him.
Leave the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars.
In his own time, when he gains your trust, he will come out.
Good luck
Take care, and that of our feathered friends !!!!

Last edited:

Nansye

Feb 16, 2010
Quincy, MA
Parrots
Lost a Quaker parrot named Alvin last July 2009. :(
The first, obvious, problem is your statement that you're "grabbing" him, which NO bird is going to like, ever!

The second problem you mentioned is that 4 people are interacting with him and that leaves so many options open - like.......... are any, or one, of these other people taunting, teasing, or also trying to "grab" at the bird when you are there? or even when you are not there?

If so, then you are going to have a very hard time training this bird, until you teach the bird that you are his "friend" and not an enemy. Building trust with this bird is your FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT priority right now and not teaching him tricks until that is established.

I really hope you love and care enough about this bird to keep asking questions and trying to do your best for him.

KarlaD

Dec 29, 2009
Clarence, New York
Parrots
Beau, Buttercup
I would be consistent with what you do every time your parrot bites. You should probably be the only one handling him for a little while and then make sure that when other people begin handling him that they are consistent too.

If your parrot bites don't react. If you scream or yell you may actually reinforce his behavior...it can be very entertaining to a parrot to be able to elicit reactions from his owners! In fact, do just the opposite and quietly tell him no, put him back in, or leave him in, his cage and then ignore him for a bit.

If you are consistent and do this each time he bites, it should deter him. Of course you also need to make sure that he has toys to nibble on to satisfy his chewing urge, gets plenty of attention and that his cage is in a place that feels secure to him.

Good luck!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I hope this member reads and understands our forum members very good advice.

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I hope he returns, but he has not been online since the day he first posted this.

Not much point in trying to figure out more advice until he comes back and gives some more info.

Most Reactions

Latest posts