poison oak/ivy help

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
Does anyone know how dangerous poison oak/ivy is to birds?
I got into something while doing yardwork over the weekend and Im leery of handling my red rump parakeet "bella" with it on my hands, arm and neck.
I know how sensitive birds can be. I lost my budgie "nuggie" a few months back because someone sprayed scrubbing bubbles in the tub then never went back and finished the job, so later when I put nuggie in the tub to run around and splash in the water (about 1/2 inch deep, but he loved it) everytime he licked the tub or drank the water he was picking up more of the residue. he was dead a few hours later.
so Im going to be extra careful and a lil paranoid with bella. so if anyone knows if my rash is dangrous or not please let me know, its killin poor bella not being allowed out of her cage two days in a row now.lol

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Very good question. I'd recommend calling a vet ASAP not necessarily for an appointment but just to see if they could answer the question on the phone. Good luck!

OP
G

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
well my internet research so far says that once your rash breaks out the oil has been absorbed and it is no longer contagious. but I think I will call the vet just to be sure.

OP
G

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
ok turns out birds and other animals can eat poison ivy safely and the only animal in the world affected by it is humans. lucky us. in some cases breathing the smoke of burning poison ivy can almost kill you. I did not know that.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My horses LOVE poison oak, to eat! I'm always getting rashes from them touching it then me touching them. Yes, once you have broken out and the oils have been washed off, your bird will be fine around you.

We have a good friend who was cutting wood with his chain saw, ran into some poison oak and breathed in the saw dust. I had never seen such a reaction as his! He ended up in the emergency room.

Most Reactions