Polka dotted parrot

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
This morning, my sweet Kiwi woke up with little dark polka dots ALL OVER his back/wing/chest feathers:eek: As I flip out trying to figure out what the heck happened overnight I catch him red handed (or should I say blue-beaked)- BLUEBERRIES. Kiwi was sitting there merrily squishing the blueberries he has been enjoying lately as he eats them. The blueberry splatter gets on his feathers, and that must be what caused the dark spots (he got 4 or 5 right before bed last night, he's really loving berries right now lol). I gave him a thorough bath, and some of the spots washed off. Whew. He just about gave me a heart attack that he was having some kind of stress or vitamin deficiency! I hope subsequent baths will wash the rest off:(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I would love to have seen a picture of that!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I can't believe I didn't think to take pics! He's drying now, and it looks like a good amount washed off. But it was something pretty unusual.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am sure he will be decorating himself again! Just like kids, I remember washing my makeup off my daughter's face when she got into it:)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
LOL! What is it with parrots and berries? It always ends poorly. I've been feeding Luna blueberries every day this week and she's been painting with them! It gets EVERYWHERE!

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
that would be a great pic.... if it happens again, and I bet it will, lol post a pic. the stress wont be there next time lol

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Yes berries highlight the messy nature of our feathered darlings don't they;). Sometimes he "juices" his fruit in his beak (which I wish he wouldn't because he flings the "pulp" all over:rolleyes:) I chase the bird with a camera all the time, so if he gets berry splatter again, I'll have to photograph the evidence.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Ha! He gave you a good little scare! Reminds me of when I found Barney with a 'bloody' beak. I was horrified until I realized she had eaten the rasberries I gave her. I guess in the bird world wearing your food is a compliment.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Haha...good to know...I just gave Sassy and Chico blueberries tonight so if they wake up polka dotted I will know why...lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts