poop off

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The poop off product was all the rage when I first started with birds, what products do yall use now a days to help get off dried poop..?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Honestly, I use a bucket of hot water and a rag, maybe a little vinegar in there, but I'm old school with scrubbing by hand. Not fancy, but it works for me. The dried food debris on the wall is more of a challenge for me than the poop. That stuff is like cement! 🙄

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Honestly, I use a bucket of hot water and a rag, maybe a little vinegar in there, but I'm old school with scrubbing by hand. Not fancy, but it works for me. The dried food debris on the wall is more of a challenge for me than the poop. That stuff is like cement! 🙄
When I find a hard dried poop on my floor I put a damp paper towel on it and keep it there for several hours. Then I just wipe it up. I have a friend who has some issues and a lot of birds, bless her heart. She lets her birds sit on the footboard of her metal bedframe and she rarely cleans up the poop that collects there. The floor is some sort of sheet "linoleum" and the last time I visited there was quite a thick strip of dried poop on the floor below the footboard. She wasn't sure how to get it up so I took a bunch of very wet paper towels and put them on the poop strip for about 12 hours. After the poop softened I used a plastic putty knife to scrape the now softened poop off the floor. Had to repeat the procedure but I got all of it up and didn't damage the floor. Most people wouldn't let it get that bad, but the point is that given enough time plain water will soften dried poop. Sanitizing the area with a spritz of vinegar and water is a good idea but no detergent is necessary to get it up.

MFajardo86

Sep 3, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels
The poop off product was all the rage when I first started with birds, what products do yall use now a days to help get off dried poop..?
I use Natures Miracle product :: no complaints works gr8

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
mostly just water or water/vinegar/lemon mix I keep on hand. If it’s on the ground I’ll spray water/vinegar on it, let it soak for about 15 minute and it comes right off. Perches, I’ll soak them in a sink or the tub.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hand held steamer has been a game changer for cleaning cages.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
5L jug Pet fresh bird disinfectant (lime or coconut) it lasts a year. , just a splash in the water, it doesn’t have any break down chemicals, so it’s just hot water scrubbing/wiping the cage still.
I do also have poop off for the little cement ones on the floor/rug that I’ve missed. I only use it for these as it’s so expensive.

Last edited:

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
My wife and I use a mix of white vinegar and Dawn dish soap. Spray it on and let it soak for a bit. Follow up with a dish sponge and hot water.

Most Reactions