Poor Folger

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Today we had all my conures out plus my mothers macaw and cockatoo. Poor Folger was out too and he was getting increasingly twitchy the longer he was out. Max and Ivory are just way too loud and active for him. Neither are overly well behaved especially compared to all of mine so those two were just freaking him out. He spooked the once and lost both of his new flight feathers. Turns out both were still blood feathers:eek:

You could see the blood on the one side and it was dripping a bit. When I toweled him the one side had already clotted after welling up a bit. The other side was pretty bad and the feathers next to the pulled feather had blood all over them. I had to rinse him off to get to the spot. Luckily it stopped pretty fast with cornstarch but definitely scary moment:52:

Poor guy had a very rough play time! The unfortunate news is our place is too tiny for real separation so he can't really get away from Maxs loudness until we move. The good news is we already signed a new lease and will be moved probably the middle of June or early July! The place has three floors so Max will be caged upstairs and mine will be caged in the basement. The only common area will be the first floor where the living room is located:) This place has over 10 foot ceilings too so lots of flying can occur even Max will have lots of room to fly inside!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Poor baby....guess Folger is more skittish and freak easily over the other birds. I have a few like that....

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Yeah the longer he goes without being able to maul himself the more skittish he seems to get. Max just seems to make it all worse with how loud he gets. I think between Ivory and Max their loud level reminds him a bit of the shelter. I'm hoping the separation between everyone helps him calm down when we move. Mine are all pretty quiet so that should help...hopefully! He does love his cage and my room right now. When I close the door to my room it blocks the sound a little and he seems calmer in the cage. Safe zone I guess!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ah. Poor Folger, indeed. The new house sounds like it will be a dream for all the birds, though. 10' high ceilings? Nice! And two floors of separation between him and the loud chorus of Ivory and Max? Priceless.

So wait, are you saying that Folger has stopped mauling himself and his feathers?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aw, poor Folger... He's had a hard day :( I hate when they break blood feathers.

He's come such a long way with you, and at least he's in a better environment then his last home, even with Max and Ivory :)

The new house sounds great! Hopefully Folger thinks so too.

Most Reactions