Possible addition?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
Hi everyone!!

So a good friend of my brother's purchased a B&G a while ago, few months, from a bird flipper. She's a 10 year old female, very low key, gets aking with other birds, loves to be out and about. But she's nippy. Loves to grab little bits of skin to pinch. I have a 1 year old male B&G who's my world but he's a sweetie with his mouth.

However, he made the mistake of making to many 'had to have It's purchases... and he now has 2 macaws, a Jenday, a severe macaw with a huge attitude problem, and an AG. He's new decided it's to much work.......... so he's downsizing all but the AG, one of the Macs, ave the Jenday.

He asked if I wanted the other Mac, the B&G. Here's my main comcerns....

1. Her nippy behavior. She isn't aggressive, but loves to nip. No idea what caused it or why. I'm guessing she just wants left alone and has figured out that's how to get it across.

2. She's used to being out 24/7. Unfortunately, I work a full time job so she can't be out all day every day.

3. Hormones.... how bad are a female Macs hormones? According to him she's a doll... but in the presence of a male Mac? What will she do?

4. My boy..... how would he take a new roommate.. different cage mind you... He's not used to other large birds, and I'm terrified she'd eat him, even though she gets aking with the other birds shew lives with.

I put a lot of work into my boy to make sure he's pressure trained, and we are still working on fixing my mistake...I baby-ed him to much as he has little self confidence alone outside his cage. I've never dealt with fixing a nipper. She never bites bites, but nips hard enough to bruise.

According to my brother's friend and family, other than that... She's quiet and laid back, she's just not huge on lots of attention. She just wants to be out and about. Right now she is on a play stand most of threw day with some interaction. He pretty much does a 'set and forget.' So she's all her all day. And he even has a porch stand so she's used to being out on nice days on the porch.. Which is enclosed... Which I don't have.

He wants to give her to me, cage and all. But I'm hesitant. On one hand I deal with working with mouthy birds all day... my Mac, my Jenday, and my gcc... all mouth...or in the case of my Gcc, bite over territorial reasons. So I know my boundaries and respect them, but am I high believer in time outs.

I'm just concerned because I wasn't looking for another bird, I have 4 spoiled conures, my fun loving shadow of a B&G, and a cranky old lady blind Zon lol. I don't have enough time to dedicate to another Mac, other than doing what she wants which is 'Let me on my stand with a snack And go away'. Financially and space are all good. Everyone gets toys rotated, clean water/food daily with clean scrubbed bowls, lots of fruit and veg, but a good diet.... so she'd defiantly be well kept. Which was his whole reason for asking me, rather than selling her to someone. The other person who was interested in her has years of bird experience from an eclectus, but that's it.

But is it fair to her? She'll have to stay in a cage 8-10 hours a day. I can't let her interact with my guys for fear of a fight because of my B&G..... and who knows what having her would do to his behavior??!! I'm thinking when he does hit his hormones they will be worse with her here.

I'm just stuck. He really wants me to take her, but I'm just nor sure I can put up with the nipping constantly and give her as much time outside the cage.

I bought a stroller for Rhage to take him out and about with me this summer without me having to worry about him getting snatched by a hawk off my arm. He loves riding in it and going places!! I don't think this one would be to pleased with tagging along.....

Any ideas? On one hand I'd almost feel better knowing she's here and taken care of and just living out her life, and maybe see if I can work on her mouthy nips... but I can't give her what she's used to either.

Thoughts anyone? I'm on the fence

Most Reactions

Latest posts