Potential Cages for DYH Amazon

brockw82

Oct 13, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
DYH Amazon, Freddie.
So I posted earlier about getting a DYH and after careful consideration I am 99% sure I am getting the one from a breeder I've been talking to.

He's 7 months old right now and I want to get a cage that will be big enough for him when he's full grown -- are any of the links below big enough? Thanks!!

Petco - Medium Dome Top Bird Cage - Color: Platinum

Pet Home Professional Products - Play Top Wrought Iron Parrot Cage - Color: Antique Silver

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...AH3w4GIBA&ved=0CIsBEPMCMAc4Cg&prds=scoring:tp

PREVUE PET PRODUCTS Prevue Pet Products 3153SAGE 30 in. x 22 in. x 63 in. Wrought Iron Select Cage Sage - Pricefalls.com

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You could check out eBay as well:
I personally know NOTHING about eBay cages, and don't know whether their coating is non toxic. Just another idea.... :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I disagree with Jersey. Both of those cages look fine for an amazon, but with any parrot, the biggest cage you can afford/have room for is best. My mom's 2 zons' still live in the old dome style stainless steel cages (about 30x30") she bought in the 1970s. By today's standards, they are too small, but both her birds (that she's had for over 40 years) aren't ever in them during the day (unless she's going out or cooking since they are flighted, otherwise, they have free run all day long). A parrot should be spending more time out of their cage than they do in it (not including when they sleep). If you don't have the ability to allow you parrot (while you are at home to keep an eye on them) out of their cage 5+ hours a day, you need to consider a different pet.
Anyways, this is my blue front amazons cage (I didn't buy it from this website, I got it from a local store, so I can't say this is a reputable site to buy from) BirdCagePortal.com - Pet Bird Supplies, Parrot Supplies, Cages & Bird Products - HQ 92422 - HQ Victorian Open Dome Top Bird Cage 24" wide x 22" deep

I love that the top opens up, giving him more space to play. I also like the 3 dishes, so he can have a separate dish for fresh fruits and veggies, and if I don't have time to wash it right away I can just take that dish out and he still has his seed. I personally took the seed guard off almost immediately because I kept smacking my hips into it, and I keep him on big a rubber backed rug anyways to protect the living room carpet, so food on the floor isn't a concern to me. Also, with this cage, he cannot climb down off of it if I leave the room for a few minutes (I keep my bird clipped). It's nice to be able to be cooking or cleaning while hes out and know he's not going to get off his cage and be under my feet all of a sudden or chewing up something he shouldn't be. Best of luck, and remember to just use good judgement on your situation/setup as everyone is going to have their own.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
I agree with Kiwi,the first one looks good to me. I wouldn't get the others unless the bird was given massive out of cage time.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Look at it this way, you have a bird with a 18" wing span. You need a cage 36" wide to allow for 6" of space on each side. Longer is better than taller. So , a cage 3' wide and 3' tall and 6' long would be just right. Height is worthless, A custom built cage is worth it's weight in gold. The regular cages are based more on providing height for limited floor space. Not what is best for your bird, but what is best for your space. I've gone vertical with my cages and don't have legs and such to clutter up cleaning under the cages. The cages are suspended and longer than taller. The birds get to fly from one end to the other , extra width and height are a waste. My zons are in a 3' wide .3' tall and 6' long cages, it seems to work.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts