Potty Training Cracker

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
I think I got Cracker's biting problem somewhat under control. His bites are becoming less and less frequent. Plus I have started to anticipate when he is going to bite me and have been able to take preventive action. Usually if I just twist my arm slightly that is enough to prevent a bite. I also think since I have declared my shoulder off limits I have more control over his actions. In other words now I think I am the top bird in our relationship.
The second habit of Cracker's that I find annoying is his tendency to use me as a toilet. I was wondering do any of you have any tips on how I can start toilet training Cracker?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Congrats on the progress, keep it up.

As for potty training it's mainly about learning the cues. Learn the poopy-dance...

When he is about to go bring him to a good spot, give him a command to go, and praise him if/when he does.

Often when I am leaving Auggie's room I'll put him in a particular spot, ask him to go, then if he does he gets to go to the rest of the house with me, if he doesn't then he gets left behind.

As for going ON you ... I remember those days, luckily they are a distant and fading memory. I just got p&$^ed off when I got .... P&^#*ed on. If he went on me I'd put him in his cage for a time out while I went to change my shirt or clean up.

Birds love attention, they can learn anything to avoid loosing that attention.

So learn to predict, and give MANY opportunities to go in a good spot. Most birds do their business like clockwork every 15 minutes. If you're sitting around with Cracker for more than 10 minutes it's probably time to give him a chance to go in a good spot (and get praised for it). Sooner or later he'll let you know when it's time, or if he's flighted he'll go over to his potty spot on his own.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
AD gave good advice. Birds are basically very clean - they don't want to be near poop more than you do. If Crackers spends a lot of time playing or interacting in a certain place, he isn't going to want a lot of poop there. Learn is body language and take him to an acceptable potty place when it's "time".

My Max is clipped and can't fly at all. He's learned to chirp in my ear if he's on my shoulder when he needs to go; then it's off to his perch for a little bio break.

OP
W

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
Thanks for all the help. I am still not to good at reading bird body language, but I will start watching Cracker more carefully to learn his "poopy dance." Most of the time I spend with Cracker I am paying more attention to the computer screen than to Cracker. I know this sounds kind of mean, but Cracker seems quite content just to perch on my arm quietly while I surf the net or play computer games. Quite content that is, if every ten or fifteen minutes or so I scritch him on the top of his head for a while or reward him with one his favorite treats.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
It's not mean...my Max loves to watch me play Peggle. He perks up as soon as he hears it load up on the screen. He also likes football, especially the Cowboys.

DustyDusky

Jan 7, 2010
Media
New York
Parrots
Dusty: Dusky Conure
AD had a lot of good advice. Picking out the "potty dance" becomes second Nature after a while. Generally Dusty's feel start getting warm and he starts to squat. When i notice this I eithe rbring him to his cage or play stand (whichever is closest). Dusty hasnted "pottied" outside of his cage or play stand in almost a year and a half now. He now has new ways to tell me when he has to go and I have him away from either of his potty Spots. He will generally lightly nip at my hand or he will start getting grouchy and scream. When any of these behaviors show up my first reaction is to bring him to his Potty Spots.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
One of the common 'potty dance' moves is walking backwards ... like they're walking backwards in order to drop it off the edge of something (even if there is no edge there, its an instinctual move in most birds).

This has been exaggerated in Auggie and sometimes I know he needs to go as he'll pace BACKWARDS in a little figure-8.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am still not to good at reading bird body language, but I will start watching Cracker more carefully.

A small tip, when Cracker begins to wiggle, sought of a swat action, he probably needs to go.

Good luck..... :D

Most Reactions