powdered kelp for finches

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
My canary Mango is about 3 years old. she had given me beautiful babies in the past, and every time she nests, she goes bald.
Plenty of Iodine and time seemed to resolve the problem, the poor thing looks like Kojak.
since her last clutch which was 6 months ago, I have now retired her, and she is still bald, not one stitch of feathers have grown.
I know she is missing something in her diet but I have given her everything under the sun, and nothing helps.

I breed gouldian finches as well and they are known for balding, which is a result of lack of iodine, but none of mine have that issue, just my Mango does.
they all receive iodine drops in their water daily
I have researched this to death and I am at a loss.

I recently ordered powdered Kelp, to see if this helps. I just received it today so I am keeping my fingers crossed :D

A rich & balanced source of essential minerals, vitamins and complex amino acids | Laraine's Lady Gouldians

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
...anyone have any advice??

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have never fed kelp to any birds but we fed it to our goats all the time. Its wonderful for them. If you offer it do it free feed off to the side of her food. I know the goats eat it when they need it and not when they have had enough.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ok thanks shelly, but they are only suppose to have 2% of kelp in their daily diet.
do you think they would consume more on the side of their dish?

the instructions say to sprinkle on top of the seed, or veggies daily

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I would think in seed it would be lost in the chuff. Sit there and offer a bowl for like 5 min and see how much she eats, then only offer it once a day. If she will not eat it I would put it on moist veggies.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
If you're considering kelp make sure its not from Japan.

Most Reactions